The History Man

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Overbury's Fan
Feedback
View
Just been out for the first proper ride on the grisley. Mixture of road, bridleway, trail, and woodland around here. Couldn't stop grinning. Made me think why I was having so much fun on a ride ive done on numerous occasions and concluded it must be geometry. Had a measure when i got home. Top tube on grisley is 2 inches shorter, reach is about 3 inches shorter as stem also shorter. Wheel base inch and a half shorter. Also ally v steel. Had to concentrate more as bike was skittish and quick steering but hilarious to ride. (40mph at one point) About the same weight at a guess but way stiffer. Think Mini compared to Cortina.

This may all be obvious to the more experience in hopping between bikes but my point is that the more unstable the bike the better off road (within limits) or is there a compromise or happy medium? Always remember bikes being a bit bendy back in the day.

Short and stiff beats long and lithe? :D

Great VFM. Not cool apparently but who cares when it's such a laugh to ride.

Cool! :D Good to hear you've been having a blast. How wide are your handlebars?
Personally I get on better with a bike that feels more "nervous" or "twitchy", great for twisty singletrack, although my friends with more modern bikes seem to find my shorter (flat) bars and longer stem hilarious :? :roll: :LOL:

jimo746":7yt48h8d said:
Cool! :D Good to hear you've been having a blast. How wide are your handlebars?
Personally I get on better with a bike that feels more "nervous" or "twitchy", great for twisty singletrack, although my friends with more modern bikes seem to find my shorter (flat) bars and longer stem hilarious :? :roll: :LOL:

About. 660mm!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 279
Blimey, it's proper oversize that! Looks like a real coke can sized downtube. No wonder it's so stiff. Never seen a Grisley before. Nice to see the word aluminium spelt correctly too, even though it looks like there's a stars and stripes on the top tube.

Marge

Yes, designed By an American, built by the Spanish and sold on Canvey Island. :LOL:

Since seeing Corsarobs and the reports you are both giving re its handling, I have put on my shortlist to buy/ test ride. It's a frame to look out for!

Went round the block again today. Soooooo much fun and so cheap you don't care if you know what I mean.

Back