If you were?

Neil":cqbexpcf said:
rosstheboss":cqbexpcf said:
Is there a crossfit place near you Alison? Have a look on Google - to be vague its a short sharp workout system that is great at getting you into shape quickly, kind of like circuit training.
And a great way for newbies to get injured.

Their rather novel approach to form needs either lots of attention to detail for newbies and careful control, or a good grounding in some key lifts and supporting musculature first.

Accept no short cuts or quick wins, achieving fitness isn't truly complex it just requires some effort and consistency rather than gimmick. And surely given where we're discussing this, most will have a reasonably close to home solution they could put to more use - ride your bike more - just little, yet incremental increase in frequency and distance would probably be the most natural step.

It depends on where you go - some are very competitive, and for proper gym bunnies, others are much friendlier and more open to beginners. The ones that friends of mine have been and still go to, all have PT professionals there, so the potential to get injured is vastly reduced. The only injuries I've known of our among the most competitive friends that are training for competitions - which, having seen the sort of things they do in competitions, is absolutely no surprise. Trying to do everything faster, harder, heavier is always going to end in tears I agree.

I do some weight training, I'm not power lifting so I'm not particularly concerned with the amount I can lift, but rather keeping good form for the desired number of reps, typically 15 reps for legs and 10 for upper body and arms. However, whilst following an intermittent fasting regime I haven't noticed any loss of strength and I haven't had to reduce the amount of weight I use for any exercises, so having lost 42lbs ~ 20Kg my strength to weight ratio will have increased.

There are also suggestions that fasting may increase testosterone levels in men, or rather, testosterone levels are supressed for a period after eating: http://www.google.co.uk/#gs_rn=15&g ... p;bih=1082

Chopper1192":ik786e5o said:
Even at my lowly level there's too much testing. Twice last year I had to wazz in a bottle.
You seriously think WSM is clean?

Neil":1nkpoirp said:
Chopper1192":1nkpoirp said:
Even at my lowly level there's too much testing. Twice last year I had to wazz in a bottle.
I don't think it's squeaky, but its not rife either. WSM finallist Josh Thigpen is a friend of mine, though he's now changing track to Olympic lifting, and he doesn't reckon it's especially prevalent, purely because so many of them compete in proper lifting when not doing strongman.

Even in body building, back where I and a lot of lifters started, there's quite a sharp divide between clean athletes and users. No one pretend it doesn't go on, but the users are so easy to spot due to their physical tell-tales that there little point fibbing about it. In some areas it's progressed to the point that GH and Synthol user have their own leagues and competitions.

I'm with the GBPF and there are plenty of random 'wee in this' requests - they take you to a bathroom where all the taps are sealed off, and the toilet water is all dyed purple so there's no way you can fiddle the test. If you're selected then you stay in there til you've given a sample or you don't compete. There's also a specific drug-free British powerlifting association, the sports evangelical happy clappers. I've not come across it at my level, and I'm doubtless some clever bar steward thinks he can play the percentages like Armstrong, but for most of us the hardest thing were on is L Glutamine. A lot of detractors have never lifted anything heavier than their fork at teatime, so I don't pay too much attention to them.

Chopper1192":zmj6lrrb said:
Neil":zmj6lrrb said:
Chopper1192":zmj6lrrb said:
I don't think it's squeaky, but its not rife either. WSM finallist Josh Thigpen is a friend of mine, though he's now changing track to Olympic lifting, and he doesn't reckon it's especially prevalent, purely because so many of them compete in proper lifting when not doing strongman.

Even in body building, back where I and a lot of lifters started, there's quite a sharp divide between clean athletes and users. No one pretend it doesn't go on, but the users are so easy to spot due to their physical tell-tales that there little point fibbing about it. In some areas it's progressed to the point that GH and Synthol user have their own leagues and competitions.

I'm with the GBPF and there are plenty of random 'wee in this' requests - they take you to a bathroom where all the taps are sealed off, and the toilet water is all dyed purple so there's no way you can fiddle the test. If you're selected then you stay in there til you've given a sample or you don't compete. There's also a specific drug-free British powerlifting association, the sports evangelical happy clappers. I've not come across it at my level, and I'm doubtless some clever bar steward thinks he can play the percentages like Armstrong, but for most of us the hardest thing were on is L Glutamine. A lot of detractors have never lifted anything heavier than their fork at teatime, so I don't pay too much attention to them.

WSM not rife? Are you for real? Any time any of them takes their top off, I'm surprised if they DON'T have BTs. And better not look to close on their backs for rashes and acne.

And a certain multiple winner who got DQd a few years back, for cocaine! FFS not rife my 'arris, and bodybuilding? Even the supposed natural shows, you've got as much chance of them either being clean, or never having used PEDs, as Arnie not inhaling at the end of Pumping Iron.

I'm not your average detractor, I've been lifting in gyms since 85, spent some years doing PT (albeit part time), have spent decades training alongside, often with, or actually training bodybuilders, powerlifters, and other people using weight training to help with their chosen sport.

rosstheboss":368esyph said:
Neil":368esyph said:
rosstheboss":368esyph said:
Is there a crossfit place near you Alison? Have a look on Google - to be vague its a short sharp workout system that is great at getting you into shape quickly, kind of like circuit training.
And a great way for newbies to get injured.

Their rather novel approach to form needs either lots of attention to detail for newbies and careful control, or a good grounding in some key lifts and supporting musculature first.

Accept no short cuts or quick wins, achieving fitness isn't truly complex it just requires some effort and consistency rather than gimmick. And surely given where we're discussing this, most will have a reasonably close to home solution they could put to more use - ride your bike more - just little, yet incremental increase in frequency and distance would probably be the most natural step.

It depends on where you go - some are very competitive, and for proper gym bunnies, others are much friendlier and more open to beginners. The ones that friends of mine have been and still go to, all have PT professionals there, so the potential to get injured is vastly reduced. The only injuries I've known of our among the most competitive friends that are training for competitions - which, having seen the sort of things they do in competitions, is absolutely no surprise. Trying to do everything faster, harder, heavier is always going to end in tears I agree.

I just think whilst it's flavour of the month for some, perhaps not the best for newbies.

That I also think it's a solution, or perhaps an injury..., looking for a problem, is somewhat incidental. Don't get me wrong, I've watched plenty of their workouts on youtube, and find it entertaining and even admirable at times, I also recognise some of the whole climbing Everest "...because it's there..." going on.

Neil":1fd1yc79 said:
WSM not rife? Are you for real?.

Are you ways that rude? Are you capable of taking part in a discussion without being rude to people? It's easy being a tough nut from behind a keyboard, but I bet you'd suffer sudden sphincter prolapse at the thought of being so rude to someone's face.

How many friends do you have who have competed in WSM finals? I have only one, but that's still one more than you have, and I can only echo the tone of discussions we've had on the subject.

Latest posts

Back