1988 Cannondale 24"x24" FINISHED 13.07.2013

Re: 1988 Cannondale 24"x24"

euphras_1":3kuhw7cw said:
Congrat´s on the rescue of this old `dale. Those eighties machines are way-cool stuff. The first "real" mountain bike i saw in person was such a C´dale equipped with Roller Cams and these Dia Compe brake levers. :xmas-big-grin:

Rollercam you say :D

17EC642E-55F8-4428-A936-D24CDF628543-1718-00000163DEA5F280.jpg

I've made quite a bit of progress in the last week or so, particularly today. I've stripped and regreased the hubs, BB and headset, they're still not the smoothest but are so much better than before. A bit of Peek polish and some sore fingers has brought the wheels up ok, still a lot of tarnishing but again, so much better than when it landed. Everything else has had a good clean so I started putting it back together today. I have a nos Suntour 6 speed freewheel in the post and I still need a LH crank or complete chainset, grips, gear cables, pedals and chain. Apart from that I'm almost there :roll:

Here's how she looks now...

dscf5921l.jpg

dscf5908ip.jpg

dscf5905l.jpg

dscf5907x.jpg

dscf5933g.jpg

hi
that is looking very cool. love the red. makes mine look downright dull.
i have a set of those brake levers slated for one of my next projects too.
will be watching how you cable them up. :)
have you scanned those directions yet? i'd be game to see them also.
roy

Retro_Roy":1hcqa105 said:
hi
roy

Cheers Roy :D

They're cabled up and ready to go (although the roller cam needs a bit of adjustment). If you look at the 1st pic you can see the cable routing in the blurry background. The rear facing cable works well routing through the stem for the front brake but not sure about the rear one. I may alter that outer once I've given it a test ride; the fact it point backwards doesn't allow such big loop for the outer cable but you obviously still need enough to allow full lock in either direction.

That's looking tip-top :) Those brake levers are very interesting indeed, as for cables you really only need 60degrees movement to each side plus it'll help stop the bars flipping round and denting the top tube in case of accident. ;)

raidan73":2pwveiyh said:
Retro_Roy":2pwveiyh said:
hi
roy

Cheers Roy :D

They're cabled up and ready to go (although the roller cam needs a bit of adjustment). If you look at the 1st pic you can see the cable routing in the blurry background. The rear facing cable works well routing through the stem for the front brake but not sure about the rear one. I may alter that outer once I've given it a test ride; the fact it point backwards doesn't allow such big loop for the outer cable but you obviously still need enough to allow full lock in either direction.
hi
did you use standard mountain bike brake cables? or road bike brake cables?
looking at the levers, i didn't think the mountain bike cable ends would work/fit in the levers. never tried yet mind you. :oops:
what tires you running? make? size? are they oldies? or available?
appears i now need a set of 24" tires. :LOL:
would prefer 2.1's
roy

Retro_Roy":26ytvfcj said:
hi
did you use standard mountain bike brake cables? or road bike brake cables?
looking at the levers, i didn't think the mountain bike cable ends would work/fit in the levers. never tried yet mind you. :oops:
what tires you running? make? size? are they oldies? or available?
appears i now need a set of 24" tires. :LOL:
would prefer 2.1's
roy

I just used standard mtb cables. There's not really anywhere for the cables ends to sit as such but because they pull straight I don't think it will matter too much.
Mombat have original 24" Farmer Johns for sale at $30 each but shipping to the UK (and Canada) is $60 for a pair. I didn't want to spend $120 + import duty etc on this bike so I bought some new Farmer John copies for about £20 including postage from ebay.

Re: 1988 Cannondale 24"x24" nearly done

Great build thread. I had similar q's regarding the set up of those particular brake levers - all answered now, Thanks guys! They look like meaningful and looong levers on that bar too.

Overall, this is looking really nice.. Raidan73, you have now overtaken me.. You have wheels!

and I think I need to source a similar stem for mine as the current one I have is more modern.. Hmmm.

It's looking like a true classic Raidan73.

Raidan73 - That is gorgeous! I remember when you bought it, it was a score then, and now WOW!! you have sorted it out perfectly, I've never seen a 24x24 Cannondale. Glad you put on some rollercams.

OSMojo":7qisdfvk said:
Raidan73 - That is gorgeous! I remember when you bought it, it was a score then, and now WOW!! you have sorted it out perfectly, I've never seen a 24x24 Cannondale. Glad you put on some rollercams.

Thanks mate :D I'm pretty pleased with it and will hopefully get it finished off this weekend. Unless I fit a looooong stem it's going to be too small for me but my wife might be interested in it!

Back