1996 Specialized Stumpjumper

drystonepaul

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
1996 Specialized Stumpjumper

96Stumpjumper01.jpg

I got this 20 inch frame a few weeks ago from Rampage for the princely sum of just £20. Cosmetically it certainly has patina, but it's structurally fine and free of any rust.

So after establishing it's a 96 indigo blue Stumpjumper I set about deciding how to go about building it up. As usual with my builds I tend to go for a period correct approach where possible and practical.
I also had it in mind that this bike was being built up as one of my potential choices for my solo ride at Mountain Mayhem this year. That meant that I would lean towards reliability and a comfortable riding position.
This justified the inclusion of a few modern parts.

The groupset is mostly made up of Shimano Deore LX in it's M565 incarnation. The fork is a Spinner rigid fork which was lying around in my workshop. In the future I would like to find some Rock Shox Judy XC or SL forks if possible.

Notably I went for a 1x8 gearing set up. I've ridden a 1x9 on my main 'modern' bike for the past couple of years and have really got used to the simplicity of such a configuration.
It's hilly where I live so I use a 34-34 (1:1) low gear and for this bike I've initially gone for a 32-32 low end.
I've also fabricated a chain guide from an old damaged Superstar Components XCR guide and some plastic light mounts.
I first test on a few very rocky and bumpy descents suggest that it's doing the job it's supposed to do in keeping the chain on.

Anyway, here are some nice big pictures:

96Stumpjumper02.jpg

96Stumpjumper03.jpg

96Stumpjumper04.jpg

Patina on the decals

96Stumpjumper05.jpg

96Stumpjumper06.jpg

96Stumpjumper07.jpg

Specialized bar ends - essential for 24 hour comfort

96Stumpjumper08.jpg

96Stumpjumper09.jpg

Shimano LX M565 8 speed shifter - I had a spare NOS one of these in the spare parts storage facility

96Stumpjumper10.jpg

I had this M563 brake lever already. A previous owner had done a very nice job of removing the shifter mount

96Stumpjumper11.jpg

LX M563 cranks and a single 32t TA chainring. A 107mm BB gives a perfect chainline

96Stumpjumper12.jpg

LX M565 rear mech

96Stumpjumper13.jpg

LX M565 canti brakes

96Stumpjumper14.jpg

LX M565 rear hub built up with Mavic XM317 rim

96Stumpjumper15.jpg

LX M564 front hub built up with Mavic XM317 rim - technically a suspension specific front hub

96Stumpjumper16.jpg

X-Lite Clikon seatpost - I found this NOS post at a cycle jumble for a few quid. It's a 27.2mm post so there's also a shim to fit into the 30.2mm seat-tube

96Stumpjumper17.jpg

96Stumpjumper18.jpg

Charge Spoon - a cheap but very comfortable and stylish saddle

96Stumpjumper19.jpg

Charge Splashback 2.1 dual compound folding tyres - I had to give these a try out at just £24 a pair. They are a bit scary in the mud though...

96Stumpjumper20.jpg

96Stumpjumper21.jpg

Every bike should have carefully selected colour matched valve caps - these red/orange come with Planet X tubes

96Stumpjumper22.jpg

96Stumpjumper_cat.jpg

Page from the 1996 Specialized Dealer Handbook for reference

I do like your build threads!

Nice deal on the frame. If they are like the aluminium brethen of 97-99 then they are pure xc .. Found them quite long. Power along when the cranks are turned though.

Thanks coomber, I do like the black LX groupsets. The problem though from a collectors perspective is that there were so many variations on it between 1993 M560 and the change to the blue/grey LX M570 components in 1999.

I currently have most of the original M560 components, alot of the M563 and M565/6 stuff and pretty much all the M567 bits. I've also got the M569 crankset. So a pretty good selection from the black era.

The other problem of course is finding bikes to put them all on, and the space required to do so...

I changed the forks to a set of Rock Shox Judy XCs a few weeks ago on this bike. They have had coil springs fitted to replace the elastomers. Cosmetically and structurally the forks are almost perfect, both inside and out, but I did have to refill the damping cartridge.
I went for 15wt oil rather than the usual 7.5wt oil for a bit of extra damping to compensate for the coil springs.

Also fitted a new cage on the chainring guide to make sure that chain stays in place with the eight speed set up.
And finally changed the rear 2.1 inch rear tyre to a 1.8 for better clearance.

Here are a few photos from a short ride last night. The forks worked really nicely.

96Stumpjumper23.jpg

96Stumpjumper24.jpg

96Stumpjumper25.jpg

96Stumpjumper26.jpg

96Stumpjumper27.jpg

96Stumpjumper28.jpg

96Stumpjumper29.jpg

96Stumpjumper30.jpg

Great bike, I've got one too, though this is actually a 1995 Dark Blue Stumpy not a 1996 Indigo Blue.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back