1992 Reynolds 653 Custom Build

andybalham

Retro Newbie
Back in 1992 I acquired a frame, forks, cranks and brakes from a retiring triathlete. I then proceeded to build it up into a full bike and go through a few incarnations until a move to central London saw it mothballed for 15 years. A year or so ago an ankle injury forced me to consider an alternative to jogging to keep fit and the bike was extricated from the garage complete with masses of dust and cobwebs. A couple of new tyres and an inner tube saw it back on the road (yes, the rear inner tube is still 20 years old and going strong at 100psi).

Since then my wife claims it is becoming Trigger's Broom (or Ship of Theseus for you Classics fans), as I have since replaced / added:

• Mudguards (to make it practical to use all year)
  • A bell to signal my triumphal approach
  • Seat after the rails on the original Selle Turbomatic both collapsed (perhaps indicating I could lose a few pounds)
  • Seat post when I kept catching myself on the old Diet Coke can shim that held the original in place
  • SPD Pedals to replace the old-style Look ones that threatened to destroy my ageing knees
  • Brand new 20yo RX100 downtube shifters off eBay to replace the Heath-Robinson Deore thumbshifters previously attached to the end of the drops
  • Reissue Cinelli 1A stem to replace the old Cinelli 1A stem that finally fell foul over over-tightening (at the time of the original build I wasn't aware that Cinelli stems had different diameters to 3T handlerbars, thankfully the reissue doesn't)
  • Brake blocks as it would appear 20yo brake blocks do not work so well in the dry and hardly at all in the wet
  • Chainrings, cassette and chain due to natural wear and to furnish me with a more forgiving set of ratios
  • Red bottle cage (to go with the frame)
  • Handlebar tape (to go with the frame)

Which leaves the following original items:

• Reynolds 653 frame with power forks (that's what straight forks were called back in '92)
  • Shimano Dura-ace headset
  • Shimano Dura-ace brakes calipers
  • Shimano Exage brake levers
  • Shimano Ultegra cranks
  • Shimano RX100 front and rear derailleurs
  • Handbuilt wheels with Mavic Open SUP rims and RX100 hubs
  • 3T Forma ergononic handlbars
  • Echo 7 bike computer (just needed a new battery)

Anyway, I still ride it regularly and it gives me great pleasure to keep the old thing on the road. It might not be light by today's standards, but it goes well enough for me and every use of those downtube shifters takes me back to my youth (especially if I flick the switch to engage friction mode).

Andy

DSCF0524 by Andy Balham, on Flickr

DSCF0542 by Andy Balham, on Flickr

DSCF0525 by Andy Balham, on Flickr

DSCF0527 by Andy Balham, on Flickr

DSCF0528 by Andy Balham, on Flickr

DSCF0539 by Andy Balham, on Flickr

DSCF0529 by Andy Balham, on Flickr

DSCF0530 by Andy Balham, on Flickr

DSCF0532 by Andy Balham, on Flickr

DSCF0537 by Andy Balham, on Flickr

DSCF0538 by Andy Balham, on Flickr

I really like that - looks like every single part has been thought through and selected for a reason. Interesting mudguards, hadn't seen any like that before. Love the Triggers Broom analogy - had to look up Ship of Theseus though...

andybalham":35py97ni said:
Back in 1992 I acquired a frame, forks, cranks and brakes from a retiring triathlete. I then proceeded to build it up into a full bike and go through a few incarnations until a move to central London saw it mothballed for 15 years. A year or so ago an ankle injury forced me to consider an alternative to jogging to keep fit and the bike was extricated from the garage complete with masses of dust and cobwebs. A couple of new tyres and an inner tube saw it back on the road (yes, the rear inner tube is still 20 years old and going strong at 100psi).

Since then my wife claims it is becoming Trigger's Broom (or Ship of Theseus for you Classics fans), as I have since replaced / added:

• Mudguards (to make it practical to use all year)
  • A bell to signal my triumphal approach
  • Seat after the rails on the original Selle Turbomatic both collapsed (perhaps indicating I could lose a few pounds)
  • Seat post when I kept catching myself on the old Diet Coke can shim that held the original in place
  • SPD Pedals to replace the old-style Look ones that threatened to destroy my ageing knees
  • Brand new 20yo RX100 downtube shifters off eBay to replace the Heath-Robinson Deore thumbshifters previously attached to the end of the drops
  • Reissue Cinelli 1A stem to replace the old Cinelli 1A stem that finally fell foul over over-tightening (at the time of the original build I wasn't aware that Cinelli stems had different diameters to 3T handlerbars, thankfully the reissue doesn't)
  • Brake blocks as it would appear 20yo brake blocks do not work so well in the dry and hardly at all in the wet
  • Chainrings, cassette and chain due to natural wear and to furnish me with a more forgiving set of ratios
  • Red bottle cage (to go with the frame)
  • Handlebar tape (to go with the frame)

Which leaves the following original items:

• Reynolds 653 frame with power forks (that's what straight forks were called back in '92)
  • Shimano Dura-ace headset
  • Shimano Dura-ace brakes calipers
  • Shimano Exage brake levers
  • Shimano Ultegra cranks
  • Shimano RX100 front and rear derailleurs
  • Handbuilt wheels with Mavic Open SUP rims and RX100 hubs
  • 3T Forma ergononic handlbars
  • Echo 7 bike computer (just needed a new battery)

Anyway, I still ride it regularly and it gives me great pleasure to keep the old thing on the road. It might not be light by today's standards, but it goes well enough for me and every use of those downtube shifters takes me back to my youth (especially if I flick the switch to engage friction mode).

Andy

DSCF0524 by Andy Balham, on Flickr

DSCF0542 by Andy Balham, on Flickr

DSCF0525 by Andy Balham, on Flickr

DSCF0527 by Andy Balham, on Flickr

DSCF0528 by Andy Balham, on Flickr

DSCF0539 by Andy Balham, on Flickr

DSCF0529 by Andy Balham, on Flickr

DSCF0530 by Andy Balham, on Flickr

DSCF0532 by Andy Balham, on Flickr

DSCF0537 by Andy Balham, on Flickr

DSCF0538 by Andy Balham, on Flickr

Nice bike, love the classical reference!

Rk.

Back