Team Raleigh 853 cross bike

velocipede

Senior Retro Guru
853 Raleigh cross bike in a lovely yellow and built up with nice parts, inc Dura Ace, Ultegra, XT, Sora, etc - some parts are brand new and overall this is in lovely condition - only real marks on the frame are on the headtube from cable rub, now covered with protective tape.

53cm centre BB to top of top tube, 56cm to top of extended seat tube. Top tube is 55cm centre to centre.

Stronglight needle bearing headset
Dura Ace cranks & BB with TA 38T inner and Gebhardt 46t outer rings
XT rear mech
XT cassette
Brand new chain
Brand new Sora 9 speed shifters
Brand new Tektro cross cantis
Brand new bar tape
Selle Italia saddle
ITM bars and stem
Shimano R550 wheels shod with Conti Twister cross tyres

This is a gorgeous, top quality handbuilt cross bike in lovely condition - wish I could keep it but the need for cash over-rides the need for the bike!

Only asking £450 Pickup preferred from Cheshire but will consider postage

8828233784_a5f231d810.jpg

8828263254_eb62473abc_n.jpg

8828250122_5227ba9b13.jpg

8828246042_295994e351.jpg

Hi,
I seem to have lost your previous post where you replied to me about size. I can't work out the frame shaping. Do you have any straight profile pics? Would be useful to get an idea.
Thanks,
Sam

Hi Sam - here's a side-on pic:

8828237216_a2ecf8f666.jpg

It's set up for me at 5'9" although the stem is a fraction too long in the pics - that's a 120mm ITM - I've since fitted a barnd new NOS 3TTT Status stem n 105mm which suits me much better. The bike would suit from about 5'8" up to 6ft+ with the different stems - I'll supply both.

Thanks for the photo. It does look rather good.

I see it is has a horizontal top tube, as would be expected. My only concern is that it is a quill stem and it might prove difficult to get enough rise to make it comfortable for me. I'm 6'1" and a bit and would need the saddle higher meaning the drop to the bars could be too much. I don't intend to race, just potter really.

The head tube looks about 140mm. I take it it's got a 1" steerer?

Sam

That's a great looking bike and if I had the room, it would be mine.

Sam, if it's any help, I am also 6'1" and ride a Raleigh 853 (R700) road bike, with a 110mm ITM stem. I replaced the steel forks with straight leg carbon forks and at the same time added a quill to ahead adaptor. This means you still run the threaded steerer and headset, but the adaptor gives you the height adjustment you get with an ahead stem.

I have ridden close to 1000k since February, including a couple of 80k rides (I'm still building up to the magic 100), so the fit would seem to suit me.

Back to selling as a full bike at £425

OR willing to sell frame, forks, headset, seatpin and brake calipers (inc straddles) for £250

Back