80's groupsets

Nob":2ycnjhj1 said:
lewisfoto":2ycnjhj1 said:
In 1978 the Campagnolo range was C-Record, Victory, Triomphe and 980. Also Super Record continued to be available, look for the non-fluted crank. The Shimano range was Dura-Ace, 600, 105 and ummm Exage? Altus? heck I never cared about the bottom of the range anyway.

Either the DA or the C-Record would be a top class build but be prepared for some sticker shock particularly wit the Campy. Recently sold a C-Record crank for $400 us. another option would be Suntour Superbe Pro, very nic group in my opinion.

Corsa Record came out very early 80's

I think not Mr Nob...you'll find C-Record first appeared in 1984 (and Campagnolo never named this group C-Record), in a sense C-Record has become a nickname.

C-Record is therefore incorrectly in common usage, but the reason it came into usage (I believe) is because Campagnolo upon it's introduction began to refer to all road groups as Corsa - prior to this all road groups were referred to as Strada.

Being prone to pedantry...or rather having a desire for detail, the C-Record group should be referred to as the Record Corsa group - Campagnolo named it thus.

For Lewisfoto's benefit 980 was not a group nor was it listed in 1987, Super Record was not listed either in 1987.

Like the vintage photos by the way - should show some of mine, they're nearly all from my TdF , Nissan Classic and the"disappeared*"road races of the 80s.

Roadking.

*e.g London - Eastbourne.

roadking":q6awu2py said:
Nob":q6awu2py said:
lewisfoto":q6awu2py said:
In 1978 the Campagnolo range was C-Record, Victory, Triomphe and 980. Also Super Record continued to be available, look for the non-fluted crank. The Shimano range was Dura-Ace, 600, 105 and ummm Exage? Altus? heck I never cared about the bottom of the range anyway.

Either the DA or the C-Record would be a top class build but be prepared for some sticker shock particularly wit the Campy. Recently sold a C-Record crank for $400 us. another option would be Suntour Superbe Pro, very nic group in my opinion.

I think not Mr Nob...you'll find C-Record first appeared in 1984 (and Campagnolo never named this group C-Record), in a sense C-Record has become a nickname.

C-Record is therefore incorrectly in common usage, but the reason it came into usage (I believe) is because Campagnolo upon it's introduction began to refer to all road groups as Corsa - prior to this all road groups were referred to as Strada.

Being prone to pedantry...or rather having a desire for detail, the C-Record group should be referred to as the Record Corsa group - Campagnolo named it thus.

For Lewisfoto's benefit 980 was not a group nor was it listed in 1987, Super Record was not listed either in 1987.

Like the vintage photos by the way - should show some of mine, they're nearly all from my TdF , Nissan Classic and the"disappeared*"road races of the 80s.

Roadking.

*e.g London - Eastbourne.

Ye but the group came out the early 80's as I have a pair of there gorgeous Pista Cranks.

980 was only a Front & Rear Mech as far as I am aware

Let's be clear - 1984.

[/quote]Ye but the group came out the early 80's as I have a pair of there gorgeous Pista Cranks.[/quote]

You can check your facts/jog your memory - easily - with reference to Campagnolo catalogues...the best reference source (IMO).

Campagnolo introduced the Record Corsa in...the Orwellian year of Nineteen Eighty Four.

That's 1984.

If I've not kept receipts, or kept a record, that's what I do.

Roadking.

Nob":1hiq5oyn said:
lewisfoto":1hiq5oyn said:

nope, it came out in the winter of 1985/86. in the '85 season, la vie claire et al could be seen with hints of c record such as white jockey wheels, headset and aero levers. it hit the streets in 1986 and i remember thinking, "what an ugly looking groupset!"

:oops:

still can't beat the super record rear mech for looks tho'...i bought one with a whole week's wages in the early '80s for £49.95 - what a bargain!

:cool:

rusty bodie":3p41ur0m said:
Nob":3p41ur0m said:
lewisfoto":3p41ur0m said:

nope, it came out in the winter of 1985/86. in the '85 season, la vie claire et al could be seen with hints of c record such as white jockey wheels, headset and aero levers. it hit the streets in 1986 and i remember thinking, "what an ugly looking groupset!"

:oops:

still can't beat the super record rear mech for looks tho'...i bought one with a whole week's wages in the early '80s for £49.95 - what a bargain!

:cool:

Record Corsa 1984...what do I have to do to convince you guys...it's in the 1984 Campagnolo catalogue!!!

Think I'll change my name to Gallileo!

Roadking.

Roadman80":2tgaea9m said:
Thanks Guys,appreciate your help on this. I'm going to try and piece together a Campagnolo Record set for the bike,I've looked at Dura Ace kit on the net too but think i'll go Campag as the bike has Campag dropouts and probably was built to have it in the first place.

Thanks,Dave.

The best choice is always Campagnolo :cool:

Exhibit one:

Campagnolo did call their Record Corsa group C-Record. In fact they had a trade mark.

Attachments

• c-Record 2.jpg
    c-Record 2.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 554
  • c-Record 1.jpg
    c-Record 1.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 554
Exhibit two:

Record Corsa, C-Record, was introduced in Catalog 18 bis published 4/85

Attachments

• c-Record 4.jpg
    c-Record 4.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 551
  • c-Record 3.jpg
    c-Record 3.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 551
Exhibit 3

Campagnolo was activey selling Super Record in 1987 it had simply been dropped from the Company's catalog.

Here is the Christmas 1987 Performance Bike catalog with the C-Record, and Super Record cranksets side by side.

Attachments

• Super Record 87.jpg
    Super Record 87.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 549
Back