What age is this frame?

Right! All stripped down to a bare frame now.

It would seem that cream is the original colour, as the paint on the steerer tube is perfect condition.

To answer a couple of questions, the chain stays are indeed 16 1/4", the bottom bracket shell is 68mm and has English threads and the seatpost is 27.2mm.

Looking inside the frame and at the lugs, it is apparent that this is a pretty well made frame, but definitely a 'cooking' model as Shaun suggested in the first place.

I now have to decide whether I get a local paint shop to strip and respray, or whether to take the frame to a builder and have a few of the rougher edges taken off before having it sprayed.

One slight worry is that the bottom headset shell is a loose fit and dropped out with the forks. I looked for cracks but can't find anything untoward, so I'll probably reinstall it with a bit of loctite.

I'm currently negotiating a few more bits from the previous owner and watching a few more on the bay, so this build is actually moving much faster that I first intended. :shock:

I'll take some more photo's later and I'll start a new thread in the riders bikes section once a few of the bits turn up.

Aren't old bikes interesting. :mrgreen:

The other option is to go around the lower cup with a punch (supported) and raise a few spots of metal to make it a tighter fit.......

Shaun.

Midlife":3ejdb4pn said:
The other option is to go around the lower cup with a punch (supported) and raise a few spots of metal to make it a tighter fit.......

Shaun.

That's a good plan.

As torqueless says dating is a bit like playing detective. In my day job it's a bit like that for me but being a bit of an eideteker helps :) Rather like spotting a wristwatch on someone in Ben Hur or the fact that in the alien autopsy the phone cord being in a spiral means it's a fake.

The slotted bottom bracket is playing on my mind..

Here's my 1974/75 bottom bracket, which at the time was a bit "new"..

5dt9x3.jpg

Manufacturers were a bit later getting into slotted BB's so would guess the frame is mid to late 70's

Shaun

PS

Here's my first gen brake collection..

alra1d.jpg

I love that 'collection', you could display that as installation art. :mrgreen:

I'm going to build up the frame around the cranks, so 1978, with a little bit of leniency when it comes to the rear mech, as there are so many Nuovo Record mechs, finding one of the exact right year will make and easy job hard.

I have a couple of parts questions, if I may:

What is the difference between Cinelli 1A and 1E stems?

What saddles were people using back then? I've looked on Classic Lightweights and there are as many variations around as there are now, so I don't really know where to start looking.

BITD the older generation fornd it hard to escape from their Brooks B17 :) Younger folk used Cinelli Unicantor black suede which cost an arm or a leg or cheaper copies from Selle (the B17), ISCA or companies like Milremo. Avoid the brown ones :(

The actual shape of the Cinelli stem didn't change much, the earlier ones (the 1a i presume) had a nut and bolt holding the bars on and the later ones a much more neater allen key and recessed nut. The logo also became a bit simpler.

Tell tale bids on my aol e-mail account from e-bay last night..........gold weinmann 500's and another Dura Ace ist gen chainset. :D

Shaun

Midlife":3f3fjlko said:
BITD the older generation fornd it hard to escape from their Brooks B17 :) Younger folk used Cinelli Unicantor black suede which cost an arm or a leg or cheaper copies from Selle (the B17), ISCA or companies like Milremo. Avoid the brown ones :(

The actual shape of the Cinelli stem didn't change much, the earlier ones (the 1a i presume) had a nut and bolt holding the bars on and the later ones a much more neater allen key and recessed nut. The logo also became a bit simpler.

Tell tale bids on my aol e-mail account from e-bay last night..........gold weinmann 500's and another Dura Ace ist gen chainset. :D

Shaun

Brilliant info, thanks.

The bike came with a 1A, but too short. I missed one on the bay, but there seem to be plenty about so I think I'll stick out for one.

I noticed a few bikes on Classic Lightweights with Unicators. At least I have half an idea what to watch for now.

Brakes; I have some 500's and 730's in my watch box, and a local chap who does bike repairs has quite a few Weinmann bits'n'bobs. Unfortunatly he's away on holiday at present, just when I wanted to raid his spares (as he owes me a favour), talk about bad timing. :roll:

Bottom Bracket axle: I've posted a wanted ad, but if anyone has a Campag Nuovo Record axle part No. 744/A 68SS that they'd be prepared to part with, then I'd like to know about it please.

What is the difference between Cinelli 1A and 1E stems?
I don't think the 1E is a kosher 1970s stem- AFAIK it's a later 'retro' stem for people missing the 1A, probably (re)introduced before there was much of a market in used or 'NOS' 1As?.. a bit like MKS Sylvan pedals. It's a five-yard stem.. i.e. at five yards you wouldn't know the difference. A '70s 1A will have an oval engraved halfway along the horizontal with; "Cinelli Milano" within it. The original chromed binder bolt has the hex-key recess facing rearwards.

Regarding Weinmann brakes- Cheap, functional, and everywhere in the 70s. The 500 side-pull calipers were often mounted on TT bikes, (they would only fit on close-clearance frames) and had no quick-release IIRC. The thing is, hardly anyone used these calipers with the Weinmann brake-levers supplied with them unless they had no option. On a decent bike, levers would usually be Campag, or copies thereof- Modolo, high-end Dia-Compe, Weinmann Carrera, Universal 77- something like that. The Weinmann calipers plus Weinmann levers combination was what you got on the most expensive bike in Halfords, which usually wasn't something you could fit a 27.2 seatpin into, if you get my drift... Also, Halfords wouldn't have a bike with close enough clearances to fit Weinmann 500..

.. That's what I remember, anyway. YMMV.

Weinmann did do a quick release option on the 500 and 730 side pulls. You can see it here in the attched ad. 500's were used by lots of riders for TT'ing and road racing.

Including me. I always thought they worked well enough - but probably not when compared to modern dual pivots. I used Universal levers with mine as in my avatar.

Attachments

• TedGerrardNov57.A.jpg
    TedGerrardNov57.A.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 184

Latest posts

Back