Marc Two Tone - Legend!

ringo

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
As title...!

Majorly stuck seatpost in 92 Eldridge. Marc offered to have a go at it. Got a text yesterday to say it is out!

Thanks mate, truly appreciated!

You old cynic Ben...

All good apart from a little collateral paint damage. The thing was far from concours though!

So he hasnt just gas-axed the frame down the tube and rescued the post, with a reply of "oh bugger, it was the frame you wanted, not the seatpost" lol!

:LOL: cheeky buggers!

allow me ringo, pass the mic...

This WAS a stck post! The initial 'bang it in a vice' failed. A good welders' bench type one as well. two of us (expert and somewhat widely knowledge'd pro cycle mechanics) . that is what it says on our badges anyway, the ones we made by hand ;)

SO, freezing it out costs some cash and a degree of uncertainty so, caustic was employed to weaken it if, not destroy it.

It didn't destroy it! even with a 2:1 mix. bubbled and spat all over the shop but post was still alive. marin lite, you see :)

With a degree of reluctance i hacked the top couple of inches off, just so i can see what i was up against. I felt tears welling up as i read the tape reading...

yes, that meant a full 350mm post was in there despite the frame being a generous 20+" AND a good 7 odd inch was well in there.

Marvellous! i could feel the callouses in my hands swelling already. a warm saturday afternoon, what else is there to do but gain a double hernia pulling this baby out. :)

I had some 'crack-it' freeze spray to hand so, i botched up a insulating jacket from an old car sponge and carrier bag. once all tie-wrapped to the frame(localised to seatpost) it's a case of blasting the liquid into the sponge and leave for a minute. This freezes and shocks the bond, seen it done, and it works!

As i was now convinced the post wasn't going walk out i got my trusty rothenberger wrench and, latched onto what was left of the seatpost, as it was ovalised with other efforts to grab it, more was the better for a purchase.

Cor blimey, after heave-ho.. it rotated! yess.....!

Now, i laid the 'bergs on the floor, trapped with one foot and then rotated the frame. This(with 7" to move) ;) it no mean feat. Imagine grandad from 'only fools with the chandelier incident, as he undid the fixing nut, but stiffer!.

Then, once you have movement, keep firing thin lube down to creep around as you displace the post. Then the more tricky task of pulling upwards as you rotate, and repeat. This was slow progress for 2-3" then it just gave up! cush.

Of course with a rough and ready approach and caustic involved the paintwork has suffered a bit. but, the frame is usable again and another marin lived to fight another day :cool:

proof that no gas axe or dynamite was involved....

I'd do this for any retrobiker/fellow cycle dude/favourable/decent/non-for-profit character. ringo ticks all those boxes and i won't take a single zim dollar from the man. One day i will need a 'thingy ma bob' and i know he will do his level to oblige. that's how we roll in Leeds.

cheers.

marc two tone":2ct1vuo4 said:
I'd do this for any retrobiker/fellow cycle dude/favourable/decent/non-for-profit character. ringo ticks all those boxes and i won't take a single zim dollar from the man. One day i will need a 'thingy ma bob' and i know he will do his level to oblige. that's how we roll in Leeds.

cheers.

Excellent work, sounds like a right nightmare was had, followed by stupid childish grinning and feelings of manlyness afterwards lol!

But to quote what youve written above and the highlighted bit in particular, that seems to be how everyone rolls on this forum, i know what you mean about Ringo though, only met him the once recently but a proper sound guy, offers cups of tea to travellers (no not the pikey sort) and is happy to let let fellow bikers purchase shiny things from him at very reasonable (fantastic) prices! :cool:

Brilliant that Marc - thank you!

You were authorised use of excessive force (up to and including a small thermonuclear detonation!)

When you need a thingy ma bob - let me know!

Crikey! look at the wall thickness of that seatpost :shock: They sure don't make 'em like they used to!

Marc is a top notch bloke, helped me out with bits enough times! :)

Back