My 79' Carlton Criterium

Jarrv

Retro Newbie
Hi all,

heres a brief overview of my restoration of a 1979 Carlton Criterium, its probably a lower end model compared to some of the older models.

Heres what it looked like when i picked it up.

WL900154 (S) stamped on the bottom of the frame (August 1979)
Suntour VX Rear Derailleur, Suntour Power Shifters, 52/42 front ring
Raleigh Wiemann 610 Brakes
Rigida 27 x 1 ¼ Rims, with Hague Hubs

You cant tell in the original photo but the tyres & hoods had perished, they crumbled under the slightest touch.
The frame itself was a little battered, with a fair few scrapes scratches and there, with the decals having seen better days.

So I stripped it down, removed all the components, cleaned and polished them as best i could.

close up of the front ring

I decided to get it resprayed, well powder coating by the good lads at LSN Coatings. Heres how the bare frame looked when i got i back

And started to rebuild with what original parts were still in good order.
New hoods, cables, bottom bracket (as it was a bugger to remove, mostly rusted on), tyres, bar tape and saddle and some shiny new decals.

Heres how she looks now :)

a nice side shot

shot of the shifters

The ubiquitous charge saddle

Front ring, now nice and shiny

Rear suntour deraliur

The front

Old vs New

And again

Had the first ride on it last week and loved it. Very relaxed and great sunday afternoon cruiser.

Any thoughts or recommendations welcome :)

Nice :) but missing the outer ring chain guard me thinks to make if perfect :)

Very nice job indeed. STill seems to have Crespera lugs on the headstock. The Suntour VX rear mech is very smooth as are those shifters. I have them on a Pro-Am too.

thanks for all the positive comments :)

Your both right about the brooks saddle & the extra carlton glam needed, as this was my first 'retro' build i think i will try for the next one.

Back