xtr

I could set them up pretty tight, a centimetre of travel at the lever end, no snatchiness. Getting the rim absolutely positively exactly true was the crucial factor. Fart while riding and the rim would be fractionally out of true and you'd have to start all over.

Like Rob says, best bet is to try it out for yourself, it's easy enough to unhook the cable and switch levers over.
Although I must say that if you have M900 XTR levers then surely you would want to do things "right" and get some v-brake levers???

i used my xtr m900 shifters/levers with the rollers as shown in the second post and xt v-brakes
for 2 seasons racing in the late 90´s.
without those rollers the brakes work but you end up pulling the lever to the grip.

you can alter the amount of pull on the xtr lever by removing the plastic "cam" section and adding a zip tie to hold the metal link that the end of the cable inner sits in.
it helps but is not quite enough..

but these.... Do work..

the xtr brake levers are just a perfect feel to me so once i had them i had to be able to use them with the "new" xt V-brakes.
my LBS said i have just the thing...
so i bought the rollers.
next step on was hope discs for me but the xtr brake lever is still one of the nicest feeling that shimano have made.

EDIT will take some pics tomorrow of the xtr brake lever mod.

You can use the widget things that come on all the XT V's lever to lock the cable in it's outer position. (they changed style over the years, used to lock it in beginner, low brake power position).
But they look a little silly with the plastic bit removed.

But with the wheel it should behave like the V brake levers with it's widgets out, as recommended for advanced riders.

with the cam system in place and the rollers the brakes were a bit on/off.
loads of power, more that standard v´s but not much feel.

it is possible to trim the plastic bit so that it looks the same externaly but the inner cam profile is not there.
i just took it out and lived with the gap left behind.

Back