Is it worth it? (Mavic/campy stickered 531 with DA parts)

oliverracing

Old School Hero
Found this bike quite near me - really fancy a small project bike for the summer, so anyone have a clue what this is and how much should I be bidding(or not...)?

Also the seller says it's 100% original - but I really doubt that you could buy a bike with campag branding and a full dura-ace groupset (or am I wrong?) Also If I were to buy it I would probably go for a respray, unless you think these are the original colours, in which case I would leave it as is.

8914783091_01e05def0d_o.jpg

8915399920_570c09d4b8_o.jpg

8914783113_824f724e6f_o.jpg

8914783143_2f0edfc0fe_o.jpg

8914783249_320acf41a1_o.jpg

8915400040_9bc118c66e_o.jpg

8915400080_19af41f44c_o.jpg

Re: Is it worth it? (Mavic/campy stickered 531 with DA parts

In terms of components, you can't really go wrong with what's on the bike, and with a de-grease and clean up there's a solid base to work from. Can't quite work out why but the frame doesn't seem that 'racey' - I think it's the geometry, although the rear wheel is slung back as far as it will go - once moved forward it may tighten up the geometry? A frame number may (or may not) give you a clue as to the manufacturer although this often becomes a wild goose chase.

All depends on what it's for sale for - if it's in double figures I'd have a go it if I was you, if it starts with a 2 and another two digits after it, I'd walk away (assuming it isn't a crash hot frame under that livery) as there's a whole raft of bikes that are in that price bracket and don't need as much work as that one does.

It's a quandary when you see bikes like this....

FINNEY1973":ddhj5b8n said:
In terms of components, you can't really go wrong with what's on the bike, and with a de-grease and clean up there's a solid base to work from. Can't quite work out why but the frame doesn't seem that 'racey' - I think it's the geometry, although the rear wheel is slung back as far as it will go - once moved forward it may tighten up the geometry? A frame number may (or may not) give you a clue as to the manufacturer although this often becomes a wild goose chase.

All depends on what it's for sale for - if it's in double figures I'd have a go it if I was you, if it starts with a 2 and another two digits after it, I'd walk away (assuming it isn't a crash hot frame under that livery) as there's a whole raft of bikes that are in that price bracket and don't need as much work as that one does.

It's a quandary when you see bikes like this....
Mudguard eyes on it as well, so not a race frame

To be honest, I'm not looking for a 'race frame' - it's going to be used as my campus/2nd road bike (starting to see how these 'collections' of bikes can begin :roll: ).

I'm waiting on the guy selling it for pricing but I'm guessing the £100 mark is what it will end up with so I will probably give it a miss as £60 is my budget :( , although I am tempted by all the potentially shiny Dura Ace :facepalm:

Despite the 80's sort of average frame that's a lot of kit on it for £100...........give up beer for a week :)

Shaun

Midlife":16uwb4bk said:
Despite the 80's sort of average frame that's a lot of kit on it for £100...........give up beer for a week :)

Shaun
a night!!

very tempted - but trying to work out how to explain to my parents that I have 2 extra bikes compared to how many I had when they dropped me off 9 months earlier! :roll: - Any suggestions? :LOL:

oliverracing":2tstu9x1 said:
very tempted - but trying to work out how to explain to my parents that I have 2 extra bikes compared to how many I had when they dropped me off 9 months earlier! :roll: - Any suggestions? :LOL:
Don't clean it and say you were given it

Had crossed my mind - Had had the idea to pull the brake levers off it (short term) and claim I had bought the bike and sold the 'valuable' brake levers for more than I paid for the whole bike - then get some 'bargain' brake levers for it :LOL:

:LOL: Turn out he's not willing to go for a fixed price - he wants to see its true value, by letting the ebay auction finish, which as badly listed as it is might turn out for the best

Back