Bike sizing...how much should be seatpost!

Pyro Tim":wgsaoylj said:
wookiee":wgsaoylj said:
Hmmm ok...the '97 is the 17.5" and the '99 the 19"...I really wanted this to class as a retro ride and all the bits I have bought to go on it (M950 XTR) would be in keeping!! There is a 19" '97 on ebay at the mo maybe I should just go for that and have 3 Mount Visions!!!!
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Shuddit Tim! :LOL: Or I'll bring up the Zaskar!

wookiee":1qj8h16p said:
Pyro Tim":1qj8h16p said:
wookiee":1qj8h16p said:
Hmmm ok...the '97 is the 17.5" and the '99 the 19"...I really wanted this to class as a retro ride and all the bits I have bought to go on it (M950 XTR) would be in keeping!! There is a 19" '97 on ebay at the mo maybe I should just go for that and have 3 Mount Visions!!!!
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Shuddit Tim! :LOL: Or I'll bring up the Zaskar!

It is still worth more than I paid, and I haven't broken it...

...yet

198111_5808077514_2237_n.jpg
[/url]

I won't even start on this one... but then again you are a fatty, so possibly a different category to me ;) :D

You'll notice very little unless you race regularly, so go for what suits you best. Smaller frame will be stiffer if you are out of the saddle all the time, bigger frame will be better if you ride from the arse.

Personally, I go for smaller and lighter with MTB's as you are in and out of the saddle. Road is a different kettle and I prefer the direct transfer of a larger frame as I am in the saddle most of the time.

Think about your riding style and take it from there - it's all personal choice.

Go with what suits you best, surely the top-tube length is different between the two frames? maybe stick some wheels, forks, bars and stem on each, oh and cranks/pedals, and sit on them, see how they fit.

Personally I like plenty of standover room betwixt the top-tube and my gentleman veg :LOL: so I often have a fair amount of seatpost sticking out of the frame, but I find it makes it easier to move the bike about beneath me. I'm 5'11" and generally fit anything from a 17" to a 19" depending on the manufacturer of the frame.

Taking into account your...ahem...body mass, maybe the larger frame & less seatpost would be a better option?

Personally - smaller frame, longer post. Provided the former isn't ridiculously small and the latter ridiculously long, you'll be fine (plus it'll look better ;) )

My little Cove:

IMAG0386_zps395b02ae.jpg

jimo746":2r29erjn said:
Go with what suits you best, surely the top-tube length is different between the two frames? maybe stick some wheels, forks, bars and stem on each, oh and cranks/pedals, and sit on them, see how they fit.

Personally I like plenty of standover room betwixt the top-tube and my gentleman veg :LOL: so I often have a fair amount of seatpost sticking out of the frame, but I find it makes it easier to move the bike about beneath me. I'm 5'11" and generally fit anything from a 17" to a 19" depending on the manufacturer of the frame.

Taking into account your...ahem...body mass, maybe the larger frame & less seatpost would be a better option?

Thanks for that...I have tried both bikes out for size and thats where I am at with the indecision! As far as stand over height due to the design of the frame they don't have a straight top tube...Maybe the attached pic will show you what I mean...the bike at the front is the 17.5" and the one behind/next to is the 19"

I think the most consideration I will be giving is to my manly physique and that the larger frame may be able to cope with the "mass" better! :LOL:

Attachments

• MV's.jpg
    MV's.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 94
  • mv2.jpg
    mv2.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 94
Ah... now I see. From that pic though there seems to be bugger all in it tbh.

Flip a coin :)

Back