xtr

The brakes MAY feel spongy and snatchy, unless you set them up with incredibly accuracy and keep them well dialled in. I've experimented with this myself and it can be made work, but anything less than a top class set up and adjustment and it feels like your brake cables are made of porridge.

I KNOW they have the wrong cable pull, but set up incredibly carefully they will work fine as the difference in cable travel per unit of lever movement between the two is only 18% - it's not utterly irreconcilable, like mixing Shimmy mechanism with SRAM levers.

My Max Cromo frame was built up from scraps and ran Deore Vs on Altus Canti levers, and to this day it still is with its current owner. It Not something I'd generally recommend, but if you're skilled at setting up brakes and don't skimp on decent cables then it achievable, if not really desirable. Oh, and you need rock steady straight wheels because you need to run the clearances nice and tight.

To say it impossible, or it'll automatically feel like crap is poppycock - a sweeping generalisation too far. It's probably not a good idea, but with skilful setting up its achievable. Alas, most cable brakes I see look like they've been set up by someone wearing oven gloves, so I wouldnt suggest the average rider triee it.

I'm scrabbling round for bits for my Bear Valley so may pull the same stunt, at least temporarily. You're not a million miles from me, so feel free to pop in and I'd be happy to show you how to do it.

Its not a sweeping generalization. Its cable pull. There is not enough of it. Specifically XTR M900 doesn't work as asked by the OP. You can use the old 3/4/500 LX STI as they have more leverage. But there's no point.

M900 are different to Altus in that the the cable pull decreases the more you pull them (servowave action). By how much, I forget.
BUT why bother when V'brake levers are easy to come by and you can gain the same 'servowave' advantages, just in the right range.

the answer is not if you want a nice V-brake setup. ;)

Of course give it a go, see what you think, I've not bothered to try.
One day i'll measure the pull of both, or at least pivot to cable pull point

I think the high leverage canti brakes pull about 14mm, of course they all vary and V brakes need around 22mm ?

It is a sweeping generalisation.

I know there's not as much pull.

But 18% less is not insurmountable if you are skilled and determined. We're not talking 50 or 100% here.

You also forget you have huge latitude to set straddle cable length to hugely alter mechanical advantage.

If you can set up cantis to a very high standard with close clearance (and believe it or not set up wasn't covered when I did Cytec 1, that quickly have cantis fallen from grace) it can be made to work.

I would suggest if I can make it work, and you can't, then I'm simply better at setting up brakes than you. I wouldn't suggest we all rush out and equip our bikes thus because It's not ideal, but if you're really determined and have the skill it's not impossible, and won't automatically feel mushy or snatchy.

Been there, done it, got it wrong, gone back and fiddled some more, eventually got it right. Was too knackered to wear the T shirt by then.

Been rummaging through the spare room and I've found some Avid Canti levers and 2 x sets of animals Vs of unknown model (possibly Acera). Guess what's going on the Bear Valley now? If invincible together enough cables I'll do it tomorrow, because being told I can't possibly do that which I've already done makes me want to do it again.

The problem I found was that the lever would go back to the bars with no modulation. They were ether 'on' or 'off' with nothing inbetween. I bought some tektro shifter pod mounts and ran LX v levers. It was all fun back then.

Anyway, I'm off to fill my diesel car with petrol because its fuel and still makes my engine work. Really really well....

Back