Orange Clockwork project.

I'm sure I recall reading somewhere that pre-90/91 clockworks had codes where the first digit was not the year. The codes after 90/91 changed I believe. So a03 codes could have been present on both pre-90/91 frame and on 93 built frames (for example). This looks like a fairly early frame to me. Both the faded paint, the decal design and letter spacing all look like an 89 or 90 frame to my eye (probably 90). The high straight top tube, downtube cable routing and the guide on the bottom bracket also indicate this must have been a pre/92/93 frame. By 92/93 slightly sloping top tubes and top tube cable routing were the norm for clockworks. *edit* Also just noticed that the wishbone stays join the seat tube lower than the top tube, which I read is a pre'91 feature.

I'm convinced the fork is not the original and has been replaced. I'm sure 89 and 90 clockwork frames came with thinner forks. Also that purple colour wasn't available till 92/93 I believe. The fork does look like ones I have seen from roughly 92 on (not sure when exactly the fatter one was introduced but I remember having a 90/91 clockwork frame and fork replaced with a later 92/93 and the fork was fatter than the previous one I had).
Fluffy Chicken is spot on about only later forks having numbers. I don't recall any numbered forks before the f7. I also agree this frame is from late 1990 or earlier.

Thanks very much for the info.I knew it was pre 93,its quite similar to my 91 prestige.I think Ill stick with this fork (youre right it says 92 on it) as finding an earlier one may be difficult,unless anyone has one for sale?Thanms for all the help and advice please keep it coming.

Hi Jase,

I have an Orange Clockwork frame with no. A1113422.
I've been told it's a November 91, but this is unconfirmed.

It looks very similar with slightly different rear drop-outs, but this could be due to the smaller size.
Pics below, I hope this helps. :)

The frame was painted Orange when received so I plan to complete with a white rattle can; and some clear coat after decals are applied. One day I'll get it professionally finished.

Cheers

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

That looks nice.Looking at your serial number and mine Im wondering if the early dating could be the following,
First 2 digits could be the week or month and the third be the year which would make yours either week 11 91 or as youve been told(more likely)11th month 91
The only problem with that scenario on mine is it would be either week 30 89 but it falls apart a bit if the first two denote the month.Being as mine is definately not a 93,the only other number which could represent a yar is the 9 which as raymondluxuryyacht mentioned would make it a 90 or earlier,possibly 89 sold in 90.Its amazing the stuff you think up when youve got time on your hands.
Incidentally while looking earlier I noticed that the cable routing on the rear seatstay is not on top of the stay,Its actually nearly underneath it,not sure if this would help with dating though.
How big is that frame by the way?

It's a 17".
I also have the fork and a white Stalk stem.
Everything is deep in the loft so I can't take a picture of the fork at the moment.

Im wondering if anyone can tell me the front mech size for this frame,also am I right in thinking the seatpost is a 27.0? thanks

28.6 front mech (same as your prestige)

I thought they were 26.8 or 26.4 somewhere around there.
Try you prestige in it ?

Howz your clockwork project going jase?

I'm after a frame myself now but nothing seems to be cropping up.

Back