headset fork race - loose fit

GazK

Retro Guru
I'm going to be replacing the cheap-as-chips headset which came fitted to my Raleigh Gran Sport frame and forks with a Campag record pista. I went to fit the fork race, expecting an interference fit involving a pipe and a hammer, but instead I find that the fork race slips into place with no interference at all.

Photo of the bare fork:

DSC_0224.JPG

Photo of the race fitted:

DSC_0228.JPG

I wouldn't describe the fit as loose, there is a tiny bit of play but this isn't what I expected. So:

- should I be worried about this? Would the race rotate against the fork instead of the bearing against the race?

- if so, what should I do? Glue? Shim? Or something else?

BITD we would go around the fork race area with a punch raising up small mounds of metal around each punch mark...about 3mm apart. then try it on :)

Shaun

Midlife":38fgnnjr said:
BITD we would go around the fork race area with a punch raising up small mounds of metal around each punch mark...about 3mm apart. then try it on :)

Shaun

really? :shock:

GazK":ljmw368u said:
Midlife":ljmw368u said:

Shaun

really? :shock:

Common practise in the motor trade when wheel bearing races slip

PM Old Ned or Keithglos on here and they will say that's what we did back then......I guess Google might show up a pic?

Have you got a couple of extra spacers because the Pista headset has quite a low stack height :)

Shaun

Shaun, exactly what we did in the 1950's -1960's.
We just had to make things work when they were not made close to standard.
There is less weight on the bottom head race than you think.
Not unknown to fit a shim when the gap was larger.
Keith

Midlife":9guga78x said:
PM Old Ned or Keithglos on here and they will say that's what we did back then......I guess Google might show up a pic?

Have you got a couple of extra spacers because the Pista headset has quite a low stack height :)

Shaun

My fork has quite a low stack height. It originally had a gran sport headset, which is 33mm.

Thanks guys. I think I'll start by making a shim from a coke can. If that is too thick I'll go down the punch route. Scary!

Back