80's groupsets

Roadman80

Dirt Disciple
Hello all,does anyone know if there is a reference somewhere on the net about groupsets?. I have a decent frame from around 87 and was looking for info on parts and groupsets from that era. I would like to put a decent setup together from shimano or campagnolo but i'm not sure what to look out for.

Any help or advice appreciated,Dave.

Have you checked the gallery and archive? There are lots of campag catalogues from that time, I'm not sure if there are any for shimano though (there probably are!)

In 1978 the Campagnolo range was C-Record, Victory, Triomphe and 980. Also Super Record continued to be available, look for the non-fluted crank. The Shimano range was Dura-Ace, 600, 105 and ummm Exage? Altus? heck I never cared about the bottom of the range anyway.

Either the DA or the C-Record would be a top class build but be prepared for some sticker shock particularly wit the Campy. Recently sold a C-Record crank for $400 us. another option would be Suntour Superbe Pro, very nic group in my opinion.

Thanks Guys,appreciate your help on this. I'm going to try and piece together a Campagnolo Record set for the bike,I've looked at Dura Ace kit on the net too but think i'll go Campag as the bike has Campag dropouts and probably was built to have it in the first place.

Thanks,Dave.

lewisfoto":12dnlu7b said:
In 1978 the Campagnolo range was C-Record, Victory, Triomphe and 980. Also Super Record continued to be available, look for the non-fluted crank.

I'm guessing a typo as isn't that line up 1987 rather than 1978?

lewisfoto":4lxt6rv8 said:
In 1978 the Campagnolo range was C-Record, Victory, Triomphe and 980. Also Super Record continued to be available, look for the non-fluted crank. The Shimano range was Dura-Ace, 600, 105 and ummm Exage? Altus? heck I never cared about the bottom of the range anyway.

Either the DA or the C-Record would be a top class build but be prepared for some sticker shock particularly wit the Campy. Recently sold a C-Record crank for $400 us. another option would be Suntour Superbe Pro, very nic group in my opinion.

Corsa Record came out very early 80's

In 78 Campag Nuovo Record Gruppo was still available

Back