Skip monkey !

Rob Atkin":hwa3m7k5 said:
That looks very nice!
Cheers :D just finishing off now , cables & chain etc . I wanted to use the original stem but the bars are not standard or oversize so struggled a bit there ! It seems quite unusual in this size ( 17 .5 ) most seem to be much bigger .

Cheers Paul

shinobi":2yc66t7j said:
Rob H":2yc66t7j said:
Free bike can't complain.

Just noticed the location of the rear brake, never seen one like that before, I'm guessing it's designed for dry sunny days and not muddy winters.
Hi , yes i guess it was a design idea from california ! it only seemed to be around for a couple of years , i have seen it on bikes from apollo and a lot of GTs of the era , im sure there are plenty of others too . :)

I recently picked up a complete bike for my wife that has under-chainstay U-brakes (they're Exage along with the rest of the groupset).

I believe Shinobi is correct though - U-brakes didn't hang around for long IIRC... they are very prone to getting clagged up with good old british mud!

Ubrakes were all the rage over here about 88-89 until you tried to use them in the good old English countryside. More than one mag had a :oops: after giving those a good write up as the next best thing.

cheers

Phil

P.S. Nice condition frame it looks mint compared to our two 1988 trail 531's I will post pics soon.

hirameuser":2oxuaztm said:
Ubrakes were all the rage over here about 88-89 until you tried to use them in the good old English countryside. More than one mag had a :oops: after giving those a good write up as the next best thing.

cheers

Phil

P.S. Nice condition frame it looks mint compared to our two 1988 trail 531's I will post pics soon.

Hi , tbh it looks better in the pictures than close up ! the decals are faded and cracked and its covered in scrapes and chips .
Having ridden it round the block i can confirm that even with koolstop blocks the brakes are shocking :LOL: im sure the flexi plastic levers dont help ! the geometry feels strange after the M2 as well , really low and short , but its a cheap bit of fun and im a big Spesh fan and always have been so a bit of history too .
cheers Paul

Congrats that looks great, bargain tyre find as well. I'd buy a lottery ticket tonight seeing the luck you're getting :LOL:

Nice find and a nice build that. Amazing to see a late 80s bike that isn't at least the size of a 5 bar gate for once.

... btw your bar issue is because 1988 (yours) and 87 (mine) Hardrocks came with riser bars with a 26mm diameter clamp. Bugger to find I can tell you. :D

Kona lover":39tafx70 said:
Congrats that looks great, bargain tyre find as well. I'd buy a lottery ticket tonight seeing the luck you're getting :LOL:
Ha Ha ! dont you belive it , the guy i bought the tyres off also had some other spesh tyres and a couple of Tioga psycho s in his car that someone had beaten me to , also saw a complete original DB Ascent in perfect condition with full STX and a GT aggressor both the same story :D still im happy .
cheers Paul

Back