Wookiee's 1997 Mount Vision...

So here is the latest... The bolt that held the rear shock in the swingarm was seriously seized...used penetrating oil waiting over night between attempts but the arsing thing would not budge. Smacked it hard...real hard...too hard and the swingarm alloy has cracked! :facepalm: Luckily I do have the '99 Mount Vision swingarm that can go on it but its not the same design and will look less retro, but will be less likely to crack like the 1st gen ones! As for the forks I have decided I am going to chuck on the Answer Manitou SX Ti ones from the '99 MV on it too as they are performing nicely. The '99 swingarm and forks are (to my taste) unfortunately bright yellow which isn't really my thing. I am thinking i might strip the rear swingarm back to bare metal and I am on the look for some air forks maybe Rockshox SID or similar. Also on the look for an air rear shock probably a fox float something or a rockshox SID again.

I have managed to get some nice M950 8Speed STI gear brake levers and so it looks pretty complete component wise just need to put it all together! Kinda wondering still if the 19" or the 17.5" frame would be best I went for a quick spin on the 19" '99 and it felt fine but the seat was not up that high...

...So want to try the 17.5 before I make a final decision!

Watch this space!

Doug

I have the same Mount Vision and a couple of years ago I upgraded the rear shock to an RP23 and I cant begin to tell you just how this transformed the ride of the bike with the settings. I also put a Fox air 80mm fork up front. The Marin now rides as it should, plush, smooth, with no power loss from bobbing.

shaun":rg23tt4l said:
I have the same Mount Vision and a couple of years ago I upgraded the rear shock to an RP23 and I cant begin to tell you just how this transformed the ride of the bike with the settings. I also put a Fox air 80mm fork up front. The Marin now rides as it should, plush, smooth, with no power loss from bobbing.

I'd be interested to see the pics! Air shocks are what I have on my modern Marin and they are so better that coil/elastimer that I think I need to go that way if this is going to replace the modern Marin and ride how I want it to...

A pic of my MV wookiee with the Fox RP23 and Fox 80mm air forks. I have also upgraded to hope disc hubs and Avid hydraulic disc brakes.

Attachments

• 2000+Marin+Mount+Vision+-+my+offroad+work+horse-1.jpg
    2000+Marin+Mount+Vision+-+my+offroad+work+horse-1.jpg
    332.2 KB · Views: 566
shaun":3fcasupi said:
A pic of my MV wookiee with the Fox RP23 and Fox 80mm air forks. I have also upgraded to hope disc hubs and Avid hydraulic disc brakes.

Looking good if it were not for my pet hate (please don't take offence) coloured tyre walls!! I have ridden the Thetford Forest trails a couple of times when me and the family have been up to Centre Parks....Albeit on my modern Marin Rift Zone!

shaun":lrfrg2jy said:

I don't suppose you have an idea of what it weighs in at??

wookiee":3qn4wf2t said:
shaun":3qn4wf2t said:

Its around 29lb with the crud guards.

shaun":15uniha5 said:
wookiee":15uniha5 said:
shaun":15uniha5 said:

Its around 29lb with the crud guards.

ok thanks for that...food for thought as my '08 Rift Zone comes in at 32lbs+!!!

]

I don't suppose you have an idea of what it weighs in at??[/quote]

Its around 29lb with the crud guards.[/quote]

ok thanks for that...food for thought as my '08 Rift Zone comes in at 32lbs+!!![/quote]

I have heard that the later ones weigh more as they seem to be more trail as opposed to xc I think.

Ok...Its been decided...I am going to build up the 19" frame! I have all the parts needed just in various jiffy bags strewn across my work bench in the garage.

I have every thing...the M950 XTR STI's arrived today! And I got a fresh set of gear/brake cables this afternoon.

So I have the morning off work tomorrow and I will start the build then and see how far I get!! What started as a build up from a cheap bike has turned into a major wallet dent! Still in the words of 80's pop sensation "Wham"..."if ya gonna do it do it right"!

Expect an update and pics tomorrow!!

Back