Retrobike geometry

lap time difference?
really who cares other than if you can beat your own lap if you wanted to.

it's fun time and enjoyment I and I would think many on here are riding for.

I like new bikes, I like Retrobikes, but the sheer versatility of a drop barred MTB is strangely alluring, hence many of us having one. A bit more robust and less easily defeated by terrain than a CX bike, and he modern trend for single speed versions make them prime dire weather hacks.

Problem is that old, new or a cobbled together mix of both, no bike is truly capable in all scenarios and is why many of us have so many bikes.

This is beginning to sound very similar to the difference between the guys who rock up to a Track Day on their daily rider, tape up the lights, put in a few fast laps and ride right back home again...

...and those who turn up in a van, set up a gazebo, roll out the bike and slap on the tyre warmers! :facepalm:

Chopper1192":68mgbnl1 said:
I like new bikes, I like Retrobikes, but the sheer versatility of a drop barred MTB is strangely alluring, hence many of us having one. A bit more robust and less easily defeated by terrain than a CX bike, and he modern trend for single speed versions make them prime dire weather hacks.

I'd really like an all rigid monster crosser, but you can't find reasonably priced ones in the UK. Ideally with an IGH for bad weather + hills.

We_are_Stevo":i0w3qhx6 said:
Yeah, but which was the most fun?

I've blasted over ground on a crosser that I had to carefully pick a line over on a trials rig; exhilerating, but no skill involved other than hanging on for dear life with a maniacal grin on me fizzog!

Each to their own...:cool:

Well the older ones were faaaar more fun :LOL:

And I rode that bike as I had it, wanted to try it and sessioned the 'downhill' section trying to do some jumps. I just can't jump on a proper mtb yet :(

A bit off topic but it made me smile for days after the event :roll: when I was racing in Afan off road triathlon, in the bike park there was a crowd all oohing and arghing over somebodies superlight full suss bike. It was even pictured on the official website :?

I don't know what the downhill is called but its quite a rocky one after a long fire road descent with a sharp left at the bottom which then turns into this rocky downhill section.

I was about half way down it on my 90s Explosif having to feather the brakes and pick a line, when Mr superlight suspension passed me not even thinking of slowing or picking any sort of line.

About 10 seconds later I passed him and although he was swearing very loudly I could still just about hear the psst, psst, psst from his front and back punctures as he slowly came to a stop :LOL:

Modern bikes are lovely and what you can ride on a modern full suspension bike at speed now is silly and if I rode trail centres regulary I'd probably buy something a bit more modern.

I hardly ever ride trail centres even though I have one just up the road, so for the sort of riding I do I'll only ever ride a 90s hardtail.

Lots of us on here grew up through the 70s so we were throwing ourselves off or over anything on our BMXs everyday, so we can bunnyhop, wheely and don't get scared when the ground dissappears beneath us.

I've always said I'll stop having a BMX when I can't bunnyhop a park bench anymore, I can still do it at 42 but it scares me that people are throwing themselves down mountains on modern bikes and then think it mad that I can hop up and down on my back wheel, bunnyhop or wheely.

There are still really skilled 14 year olds who can kick my arse on a hardtail but I do think that the generation who grew up on BMXs have a certain finesse when it comes to riding ;)

Full squidge won't compensate for a lack of skill. He'll, 9 out of 10 owners don't have a clue about setting up the suspension, and an even bigger proportion of such bikes never have a suspension service in their lifetime. Jump on the typical 3 year old squidger and its liable to be an under damped, squeaky, wheezing mess.

Latest posts

Back