Oh no a hundred miles and more

Alison

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
In July we have been invited to my husbands aunts 70th birthday party in Nottingham. I'll have to drive as I panic when driven, I hate driving on unfamiliar roads, prefer bike, I did once ride 130 miles, accidentally, spending New Years eve in a small village celebrating with a Mars Bar and a Ribena :) The last time I went there was years ago on my farther-in-laws wedding anniversary, I said Dom could drink and I'd drive back (I was not scared of driving except over bridges) I was driving back at 2am and could swear I was on a bridge I drove most of the way back with my eye closed in tears. I know I should not say that as it was a STUPID thing beyond belief, but my hubby was drunk so what's worse? Being summer and staying overnight this should not happen, beside my husband assured me there were NO bridges I was just confused by the railings which had been obscured by plastic :roll: and we had been safe all the time :roll:

I once tried to dare myself to cross the Humber, but the signs to it were to much for me :oops:

Do you fear anything at all car wise where bikes don't bother you at all?

Alison

I only get the jitters when I am on the motorway and it starts raining heavily.

I can't wait to get off. The idiots who carry one driving way beyond stopping distances allow are harbingers of doom.

Of course I would never be on a motorway on a bicycle.

Yes, same as highlandsflyer. Driving M'ways in poor visibility with drivers who are driving too fast/close for the conditions. Feel like a sitting duck.

Bike wise, I don't like towing my boy behind me in his trailer on certain roads, again, due to what some drivers misjudgement could do..

kermitgreenkona88":btyz7z0d said:
:oops: I can't drive so I fear driving totally it is all bike walk or bus for me :oops:

I couldn't cope without driving, I don't know how anyone goes without knowing how to drive in this day and age :shock: although I didn't take my test until I was 26 and that was because I lived in the country and the buses kept refusing the pushchair :shock: so I took my test and got a 2CV. I love knowing I can just nip to the town shops in the car and to the city ,as I live in a village with no amenities :( We did live for about a year without a car, we had bikes for the oldest three and a trailer kit for the youngest, but when I was sectioned for 5 months my mother in law bought us a car and we've had one since. I must say the two seater trailer bike was hard to handle, but taking my little one in the child trailer/pushchair was easy :D

highlandsflyer":btyz7z0d said:
I only get the jitters when I am on the motorway and it starts raining heavily.

I can't wait to get off. The idiots who carry one driving way beyond stopping distances allow are harbingers of doom.

Of course I would never be on a motorway on a bicycle.

I remember driving in rainy conditions, that I've never met the like :shock: and I was driving slowly because of it and had to brake for a roundabout, I was going before I broke about 10 mph and still rolled in the wet for yards praying I'd not crash I didn't, but rolled and turned, which was mostly ineffectual, to a holt just beside the car, I pulled over in the nest service station until weather improved.

Alison

Alison

I don't fear it, but I can find driving particularly uncomfortable because of my bionic elbow. 100 mile in a bike would be.met with anticipation. 100 in a car would be me with a groan under my breath, and a stop in the middle to get out, all-around and wave my won't arm around a bike to try and get it a bit more enthusiastic about the next 50 miles.

The thing that scares me the most about driving is other drivers.

I can control my speed, I can control how close I am to the car infront, I can anticipate the weather/road/driving conditions, but I can't control that tw*t in the Audi (other cockmobiles are available) who insists on driving precisely 0.1mm from my rear bumper, pulling out on me when I'm travelling at 60mph and I'm less than 50 yards away from him, or talking on his mobile whilst he's on the M4.

Latest posts

Back