woman arrested for carrying union jack.

Raging_Bulls":fbtspvji said:
ahem.jpg

While I agree that this is the Off-topic section, it is not a place where anything goes.

If you want to generalize or complain about certain ethnic groups, religions or political parties, keep in mind that some members of this forum are probably part of said groups, religions or parties. That's an excellent recipe for insults and arguments.

If you have a problem with the multicultural society you live in, why not go into politics and work on improving or changing it? You don't need to become PM, even grassroots politicians can make a difference in their region.
Or start protesting, or participate in some riots for all I care. Just stop playing the keyboard warrior because your keystrokes won't make a blind bit of difference. Everyone here has their own opinion on these subjects and nobody will be able to change that. All you will accomplish is that people will like you less.

Oh, and I would appreciate it if people could think twice before starting topics like these. We've had several similar topics lately and none of them contributed to the forum in any way. All they do is cause arguments.
I'm not just pointing at the OP of this particular topic, there are a few other members who keep coming up with these politically-themed topics as well. I'm not naming any names. You know who you are.

I just have to say, I completely understand your thoughts that sometimes these threads can get insulting and this even makes me very uncomfortable and cringe, but I do love to hear peoples opinions on these subjects and, like the gay marriage thread, although I didn't start it was a regular contributor, it ran with practically no aggressive or insulting comments. I have discussions all the time about such things with my hubby without having to become a religious citizen or a politician to discus them and we often agree to disagree and sometimes decide your right and I'm wrong. People often can be persuaded to another opinion, I've changed my opinion twice on major things I felt strongly about because of another's thoughts on the subject, so it is possible, I always respect another's opinion even though I might disagree with it.

I think we should continue these subjects on off topic as off topic is all about discussing the rest of the world around us not just bikes.

Alison

The woman who was holding the Union Jack had marker pen racist slurs written on it,Why would a British Citizen deface our flag in the first place, unless she isn't or just loved causing trouble.

Well wherever she's from, we're both from the true home of Raleigh and my dad worked there as an accountant, well, well back in the day :D

Alison

Ian Raleigh":1r4mg3s7 said:
Agency_Scum":1r4mg3s7 said:
Highlandsflyer ruined this thread for me. I was looking forward to a good old rant and he comes along on page one and ruins it with his facts and his fancy book learning.
Who gives a shit! Arrest this woman as well :LOL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkZr86Ry9vU

Cracking!

Reminds me of that game I got involved with at the Cambridge Folk Festival, where the aim was to jump over a stack of tables and chairs, which as we had had possibly twenty pints really just involved running into them.

Ouch!

The thing that goes through my mind is one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter and we and these all go through life feeling we are the righteous and want to express our views. OK the people that murdered the lad in Woolwich felt they were freedom fighters, they are fighting for what they believe, but to us they are terrorists. The point I want to make is that regardless of our position right, middle or left, we have a right to express what we feel about any situation. This is a section on a forum, like all forums have, to express what we feel to vent our thoughts for others in this cycling community to also have an opinion, it's not all about being one in bikes, and god knows I've seen so many disagreement's about bikes, be it what's the best KLIEN, Orange GT yet so may disagreements, agreement's debates, would you stop cycling subjects because we disagree about what brands are the best, believe me there are many disagreement's about it even though it is obviously the Raleigh Activator is the best :D

Alison

Alison,

Taken from the Rules, Guidance and Conditions page :
Users of these forums
1 ) Must not post libellous, insulting, antagonistic, racist, aggressive or otherwise abusive remarks about any individual or company either within forum posts or the PM (Private Message) system.
Some of the stuff on the previous pages really is borderline racist and openly insulting, and this has been going on in a few more threads recently. The only reason I'm letting it slide so far is because the rules specifically state that the remarks must be targeted at individuals or companies. If the rule included the word "groups" or "minorities", we wouldn't be having this discussion now.

There's a difference between discussing gay marriage like adults and using a tabloid-like story without proper evidence to vilify the police and have a go at Muslims and people of different ethnicity at the same time. Then there's the remarks towards EDL as well. How much more hate mongering do you need?

As for this thread belonging in on the forum, allow me to quote another part of the general guideline.
At all times discretion and self moderation is to be encouraged. Please be aware that what you might say down to your mates in the pub isn't necessarily acceptable on a globally visible internet forum about old bikes.
IMO most of this thread belongs in that category of topics that you only discuss in a pub. But we probably won't agree on that either.

Raging_Bulls":sh8ez1ac said:
Alison,

Taken from the Rules, Guidance and Conditions page :
Users of these forums
1 ) Must not post libellous, insulting, antagonistic, racist, aggressive or otherwise abusive remarks about any individual or company either within forum posts or the PM (Private Message) system.
Some of the stuff on the previous pages really is borderline racist and openly insulting, and this has been going on in a few more threads recently. The only reason I'm letting it slide so far is because the rules specifically state that the remarks must be targeted at individuals or companies. If the rule included the word "groups" or "minorities", we wouldn't be having this discussion now.

There's a difference between discussing gay marriage like adults and using a tabloid-like story without proper evidence to vilify the police and have a go at Muslims and people of different ethnicity at the same time. Then there's the remarks towards EDL as well. How much more hate mongering do you need?

As for this thread belonging in on the forum, allow me to quote another part of the general guideline.
At all times discretion and self moderation is to be encouraged. Please be aware that what you might say down to your mates in the pub isn't necessarily acceptable on a globally visible internet forum about old bikes.
IMO most of this thread belongs in that category of topics that you only discuss in a pub. But we probably won't agree on that either.

Probably not. The last time I went to a pub I was in my teens, I'm 46 now, That's one of the guidelines, and that'snthe one I have difficulty with, as I've said I haven't been to the pub since my teens, I haven't had a close friend in 12.5 years, beside my hubby who I've known since 3, and so Retrobike is my outlet and my inlet. I do agree that some, not to mention any names ( I hope I'm not in that category) need to be more respectful when discussing certain subjects but I don't think that any subject should be banned because of this, but that members resulting to more than acceptable insults should be warned from doing so, I hope that's not me as I try to respect all points of view whether mine or not.

Al;ison

I think in the end what ever we agree on or disagree on it, has to be HARMLESS on both parties to be a just argument and as long as it adheres to those principles there is no reason why we should not debate it.

Alison

Back