IQ test, Have you done it?

Alison

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I'm too afraid, I thinkl I'd score 70 if I was lucky, I know that 70 is practically remedial but I would be so worried about making a fool of myself.

Have you taken it, officially, and will you tall me your score or do you think that you know your an intelligent person, like me ( I think I am) and are happy to believe in yourself :) Although a part of me would love to get a good score simply for confidence reasons.

Alison

Isaac_AG":10axh4kb said:
I'm too afraid, I thinkl I'd score 70 if I was lucky, I know that 70 is practically remedial but I would be so worried about making a fool of myself.

Have you taken it, officially, and will you tall me your score or do you think that you know your an intelligent person, like me ( I think I am) and are happy to believe in yourself :) Although a part of me would love to get a good score simply for confidence reasons.

Alison

I find it hard to believe that someone who can write so clearly would get a 70 in an IQ test! If you don't test well, then it's probably because you are too nervous to do yourself justice.

I just think they are the sort of questions that are never asked in life, that you'd need to revise for, and would just make me look a fool :facepalm:

Alison

Isaac_AG":nz69npo8 said:
I just think they are the sort of questions that are never asked in life, that you'd need to revise for, and would just make me look a fool :facepalm:

Alison

Well... they can be a bit weird, but they're about aptitude, not knowledge. You can definitely get better at the tests by practicing, especially if they make you uncomfortable. A lot of tests seem like they are nothing to with life but they actually are - for example, some of the weird geometrical ones test how well you'll do fitting complicated shapes together, especially when you have to rotate pieces, so they're very relevant to bike repair.

However, some people are a lot better thinking about definite, practical cases rather than abstract problems, and this hurts test results. Often these people can get a lot better with some practice because they learn to just thinking "This is silly and weird!"

Is that like if your a drop-out from school but amaizing at gambling? the fact that intelligence can be hidden because it's not all about abstract learning but about knowing what's relevant to you? I have done A'Level maths, physics, chemistry, biology, law and English but that was many moons ago, I struggle to give my 8, 11 and 13 year old instruction in their education, I'm not sure if it's my stupidity or the manor of which they learn. I must add that when I did physics I had my hubby's help, I've known him since 3 years old, and I said "no, simpler, no even simpler, no you have to go even simpler than that" he really did and it wasn't my physics teacher it was my husband that got me through that made me pass my exam :D

Alison

I've done various ones in the past. In some of them I've been rated at genius level in the top 0.1% of the population, in others I've been average. The MENSA tests in particular are more logic puzzles than anything else.

To summarise they are bull.

If I was to rate me I'd say average intelligence, If my last school rated me they'd say remedial even though I've studied many A'levels. This is something I've struggled with. I was in the lowest set possible at school, I fought this but was laughed at, after school, about 4 years later I did many A'levels. so how do you decide what is intelligent and what is not. I read of a severely autistic woman that got a degree and a doctorate but although not a savant was able to live a relatively normal life, although she would never have a sexual or married life because of her autism she was more successful than the majority of said normal people.

How do you know if yor an intelligent person :?:

Alison

just do a few of the free online demo ones like mensa or high iq, if you get good results lord it over everyone, if you don't then don't mention it...
and they are more abstract than knowledge, it is word association, pattern recognition type stuff. From the ones i've done i get anywhere from 129-140 depending on the test, don't really know what that means.
Thing is does it really matter, does it really mean anything at all?

If, like me, you're dyslexic then you'll struggle with the test because of the way our brains work (or don't work in my case). Strange, because when I was eventually properly diagnosed and assessed I ranked as 'superior' in every department, which left me feeling kind of, erm, superior...

Back