Swingarm concerns opinions needed...Now f**ked!

We_are_Stevo":uwm7j75u said:
Looking at the original damage I'd say that it looks likely to have been due to someone removed a lock in with an angle-grinder?

Actually steveo thats probably exactly what happend! They are very straight and clean grooves. Still as its now cracked its probably for the best that I didn't ride it in anger anyway!

wookiee":2ipo4lge said:
old_coyote_pedaller":2ipo4lge said:
I removed a very stuck shock mounting bolt on the swing arm of a Marin.
Like your's the alloy spacers either side of shock eye were corroded to feck and stuck.
Liberal spraying with WD40 plus leaving to let it soak in overnight with more applied before I then tried to remove it.
I took off both nuts then put several washers onto end of mounting pin on one side leaving a nuts depth of threads.
Put the nut back on and started to tighten it to pull it one way, when it moved sprayed more WD40 so newly exposed part of pin was wet. Transferred the washers and nut to other side then kept repeating this until I could pull it all the way to one side and out. Took time and effort to get it to move more than a few mm at a time.
Just make sure you haven't mashed the end of the threads on one or both ends of pin because then you're never going to get it through the spacers or shock eye.
Extreme violence then required to remove it.

Yeah I got it moving but the extreme violence was too much for the old alloy and its now cracked!

You still need to get the mounting pin out to get the shock if you want it.
You could always use Mr Angrygrinder to cut away the swing arm, spacers and pin.
There's a certain satisfaction involved in saying "beat this ya bastard". ;)
Not an option I'd like to use, too much chance of damaging the shock so I would persist with the nut and washers easing it side to side.

old_coyote_pedaller":13y0vdpi said:
wookiee":13y0vdpi said:
old_coyote_pedaller":13y0vdpi said:
I removed a very stuck shock mounting bolt on the swing arm of a Marin.
Like your's the alloy spacers either side of shock eye were corroded to feck and stuck.
Liberal spraying with WD40 plus leaving to let it soak in overnight with more applied before I then tried to remove it.
I took off both nuts then put several washers onto end of mounting pin on one side leaving a nuts depth of threads.
Put the nut back on and started to tighten it to pull it one way, when it moved sprayed more WD40 so newly exposed part of pin was wet. Transferred the washers and nut to other side then kept repeating this until I could pull it all the way to one side and out. Took time and effort to get it to move more than a few mm at a time.
Just make sure you haven't mashed the end of the threads on one or both ends of pin because then you're never going to get it through the spacers or shock eye.
Extreme violence then required to remove it.

Yeah I got it moving but the extreme violence was too much for the old alloy and its now cracked!

You still need to get the mounting pin out to get the shock if you want it.
You could always use Mr Angrygrinder to cut away the swing arm, spacers and pin.
There's a certain satisfaction involved in saying "beat this ya bastard". ;)
Not an option I'd like to use, too much chance of damaging the shock so I would persist with the nut and washers easing it side to side.

To be honest the reason why I wanted the bolt out in the first place was to replace the shock as its fooked and pretty rusty etc. Now that the swingarm is toast I am just going to leave the shock on there and put the swingarm and shock from my '99 MV on it just to get it working (the 99 came apart easily)

old_coyote_pedaller":14nxxjda said:
Problem solved, then. :cool:

I assume it was a coil shock then if it's rusty?

Yeah the original shock works one with no damping or rebound adjustment, a lot of the paint flaked off and rust coming through on the spring. I have another shock works one with the piggy back damping which is ok, but I am on the look for an air shock....

Throw it as far away as you can, but that won't be far because it's kinda heavy. :LOL:

I removed the original coil-shocks that were on the 99ish Marin Wolf Ridge frame I built up for my daughter and Wild Cat Trail I'm building for my wife, replaced them with air SIDs. Much better and lighter too. My youngest daughter's East Peak luckily still had original Fox Float on it when I built it up, change of seals and it's like new.

old_coyote_pedaller":23xuwer9 said:
Throw it as far away as you can, but that won't be far because it's kinda heavy. :LOL:

I removed the original coil-shocks that were on the 99ish Marin Wolf Ridge frame I built up for my daughter and Wild Cat Trail I'm building for my wife, replaced them with air SIDs. Much better and lighter too. My youngest daughter's East Peak luckily still had original Fox Float on it when I built it up, change of seals and it's like new.

Its heavier than a heavy thing living in Heavytown! Yeah on the look for a fox float "something" really... I want this full suss build to get away from my heavy '08 Marin Rift Zone vibe and a bit more nimble and less motor bike without an engine!

Blimey wookie step away from the tools and have a calm moment. Strip the paint with nitromors or equivalent then get some fine wet and dry say 1200 and then 2000 grit, use wet to get like a black gunge going, then get some metal polish and a cloth and go for it. It will come up like a mirror.
Stop hitting things with hammers please.

Chute55uk":2hxjlzd0 said:
Blimey wookie step away from the tools and have a calm moment. Strip the paint with nitromors or equivalent then get some fine wet and dry say 1200 and then 2000 grit, use wet to get like a black gunge going, then get some metal polish and a cloth and go for it. It will come up like a mirror.
Stop hitting things with hammers please.

Fair point well made! I do get a bit brutal with stuff and must step away from the hammers (especially the lump ones!)...! I was trying to be patient and I've been trying to get the bolt free all week! Soaking, tapping, prising etc etc. Today I decided brute force might help...did it heck! Just knackered it! One day I will learn! (or maybe not!)

I guess I am a wookiee in more ways than one! I have a short temper and more strength than brains! As for the replacement swingarm...I might try and strip it back in the next few days/week and see what happens...I promise I will try to be gentle!

Doug

You can pick up a decent alloy polishing kit drill mounted for 15 quid off ebay I started on my marin today with one, takes most of the hard work out

Back