Kona ... someting or other

flip

Retro Newbie
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
It's not a Ku, I reckon the add is pretty accurate, could be anything from Firemountain to Cindercone I'd reckon. As far as the year goes, I'm not sure, someone here with more knowledge than me could help you out, but pre 1998.

Not a Ku, not even alloy
Doesn't seem to have a rear brake cable stop so '96 or earlier, not a clear pic of the drop outs but I would say '94 or later
I'd guess steel frame from between '94 - '96 and if the weight is accurate it could very well be a Lava Dome
See if you can get the frame number, may reveal more info :D

Appreciate the interest. Will be my first project, so it would be nice to know what exactly i am working on. Will update with pictures and more info.

Good luck with your build..Just rem mate. If your going to run cantis you need to source a dog collar for that. If your going to run v's an after market clamp for the frame, or full length brake cable outers zip tied to the frame.

Click on my lavadome in my sig an you'll get the idea.

Thanks for the heads up. Luckily I have a friend who has built one before and has given me a fullllllll run down =).

It's difficult to tell from the poor pictures, but it could be a 1996 Kilauea. The seat clamp looks like a 96 type and the O Beam post was fitted to the 96 Kilauea but not lower models. The post weighs c280g, leaving the frame at 1.92kg, which is consistent with a Kilauea but not lower models. It appears to have a 28.6 top tube and 31.8 down tube, but I believe the lower models had both 31.8.

If it is a 1996 Kilauea, it will have kinked-in chainstays as shown below, but I can't see that in the photos. The Cinder Cone and lower models did not have this feature.

Attachments

• 1996 Kona Kilauea frame size 18.jpg
    1996 Kona Kilauea frame size 18.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 396
Back