Raleigh Team TI Reynolds 531 Large fully refurbished

We sold Raleigh Record frames BITD (late 70's) and they were nothing like the link you have posted. Raleigh had a number of "team record" frames for UK, Europe, USA including hi ten frames and 531 frames.....they were basically using the brand to sell frames. The Raleigh Europa being a classic example.

With fading memory only to guide me the Record frames we had in the shop came with sloping crown forks with either full chrome or (better looking) chromed fork tops and 10" chrome from the bottom with red in between plus the Ti decal. The full chrome forks looked suspiciously like Carlton forks from the Kermesse /Equipe stable.

The problem for you is one of selling it......

SBDU frames have a price all of their own, £700 plus depending on what they are

Raleigh Professional / Pro Super, again maybe £400 plus

Raleigh Record, may have 531 main tubes only, mudguard eyes......... the market will set the price.

Shaun

Shaun, so you think on this basis it is a record?

The forks were chrome tops, red bit and sliver base with TI sticker as described. Found a few images of TI teams with mudgaurd eyes, but likely these are refurbed also, so cant tell what they were before.

Problem was that the downtube had no stickers, and generally pretty corroded, so when painted my frame painter assumed it would be a ti team. May stick it on auction site see what the market says.

There's a guy on here called "roadking"......might be worthwhile having a look for one of his posts and PM him to bring this thread to his attention....he knows a bit more than me :)

Shaun

Midlife":1ptd6ylu said:
We sold Raleigh Record frames BITD (late 70's) and they were nothing like the link you have posted. Raleigh had a number of "team record" frames for UK, Europe, USA including hi ten frames and 531 frames.....they were basically using the brand to sell frames. The Raleigh Europa being a classic example.

With fading memory only to guide me the Record frames we had in the shop came with sloping crown forks with either full chrome or (better looking) chromed fork tops and 10" chrome from the bottom with red in between plus the Ti decal. The full chrome forks looked suspiciously like Carlton forks from the Kermesse /Equipe stable.

The problem for you is one of selling it......

SBDU frames have a price all of their own, £700 plus depending on what they are

Raleigh Professional / Pro Super, again maybe £400 plus

Raleigh Record, may have 531 main tubes only, mudguard eyes......... the market will set the price.

Shaun

The problem with Raleigh Records is that they seemed to produce all sorts of different variations, some high spec and some low spec. Some with the Team colours, and some like mine with completely different colour and decal schemes. The ones you find in the catalogues all seem to be bottom spec versions.

I have a 1979 Raleigh Record (below) in different colours. When doing research on my bike it seems they produced some with bottom end raleigh tubing, some with 531 main tubes, and like mine which is not far off team pro spec which is full 531 stays, frame tubes and forks, with Campagnolo drop outs. The OP's however seems to have quite chunky drop outs that don't seem to be higher quality like Campag ones for example. If it were full 531 I would of thought they would also put top quality drop outs on to match. Does it say anything on the drop outs?

Therefore for this reason I think this one maybe 531 main tubes only, nice looking fork crown though, not seen any like that before! Could mean they aren't original, or could just be another quirky Raleigh one off surprise, of which I've noticed a lot of recently in other bikes and frames I've found.

One thing to note also though is mine has mud guard eyelets, and I'm pretty sure all team pro's didnt have these.

It would also help if you weighed the frame and fork. Let us know your results! If its full Raleigh tubing the weight should reveal this.

Thanks for responses guys, hopefully we are getting somewhere.

Just weighed the frame, with headset it is 3480g, so if the headset weighs 150g or so it is just over 3300g. Would that be right? Does not seem to svelte, but then I suppose the forks will be heavy too and it is a large size.
I have a similar sized Flying Scot which i've just weighed, around 3000g, it is full 531c with 531 fork stays.

Also noticed it has no bottle cage mounts, which with the mud-gaurd eyelets makes it a bit of an odd tourer! the forks do look fairly racy.

I have also popped up some before pics, as can be seen the frame was fairly corroded. Yellow head tube looked to be hand painted, but also looks like the forks and frame match as they are both at similar level of corrosion. you can just make out the reynolds sticker, but it was too far gone to get much more info on wether main tubes or stays. and also no sign of a downtube sticker.

My frame painter advised me to paint the head tube black as thats all he has done in the past. So all in all any ideas on value?

Attachments

• raleigh_b4_3.JPG
    raleigh_b4_3.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 802
  • raleigh_b4_2.JPG
    raleigh_b4_2.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 802
  • raleigh_b4_1.JPG
    raleigh_b4_1.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 802
Back