Gran sport strada chainset - pedal choices

My Money is on a Diamond with an 8 in it :)

Work has blocked you you tube and shopping channels but not retrobike LOL Blimey, ten to twelve and bed time

Shaun

Midlife":34od4l9u said:
Just checking............is it a post 1978 Gran Sport Chainset?

Shaun

PS Must dig out my campag pedals that I replaced with the Pro-Ace :)

Think I might be correct in this, if the chainset is Nuovo Gran Sport (replaced by the Victory group) there is, engraved between the Campag' shield and axle recess, the letters"G.S" - this appears on my Gran Sport chainset.

Haven't checked the date code but it a"Nuovo"chainset.

Agreement on the pedals Shaun :D

Rk.

P.S a circle with a 1 in it.

Thanks for all your responses. I am currently away so will check the chainset when I return. I know it does have 'g.s.' engraved on it thought.

I was in an lbs today asking about bottom brackets. They seemed to think that my chainset would require a special, asymmetrical bottom bracket to hold the chainset in the correct chain line. This was they way the gran sport system was set up they said.

Does anyone know if this is true and if so, what my options are for a bb?

RobWJL":oxq0d7pd said:
Thanks for all your responses. I am currently away so will check the chainset when I return. I know it does have 'g.s.' engraved on it thought.

I was in an lbs today asking about bottom brackets. They seemed to think that my chainset would require a special, asymmetrical bottom bracket to hold the chainset in the correct chain line. This was they way the gran sport system was set up they said.

Does anyone know if this is true and if so, what my options are for a bb?

Nothing special about the BB (except that the shop lacks knowledge of older bicycles - hence the "special"comment), all"classic"bike BBs would be like this whether Gran Sport or otherwise.

What this actually means is the chainset side of the BB axle is longer than the the crank only side...and item easily purchased.

Hope this helps...don't let the wrong kind of bike shop put you off!

Rk.

P.S might be able to help more if we had a location.

Thanks RK - in terms of an idiots guide, what spec bb do I need to search for to get it right? i.e what are the key specs?

RobWJL":39111xtu said:
Thanks RK - in terms of an idiots guide, what spec bb do I need to search for to get it right? i.e what are the key specs?

Key specs...

bottom bracket thread...English, Italian?

Axle length (107mm, 110mm, 113mm or 115mm) would/could be frame dependent, I cannot really advise confidently as I don't have the frame. One thing is for certain you should be able to buy a good square taper, sealed bearing BB for no more than a score (£20).

A Stronglight, Miche or Shimano.

Obviously you could spend more.

Rk.

P.S for info - Strada just means road, all Campagnolo road chainsets are Strada.

RobWJL":184cupg4 said:

There was a long thread about this a month ago, so for more detail look that up, You need to get a bottom bracket that has the correct thread to match your frame, the correct spindle length for a proper chain line, the spindle also will need to match the BB shell width (likely either 68 or 70) and lastly the correct taper, which in this case would be Campagnolo because of the GS chainset.

If you buy a bottom bracket complete then all of these will be solved in one purchase (i.e. Italian thread will automatically have a spindle for 70mm bb shell) So the only decision to make is the spindle length. Generally speaking short ones are for single speed bikes, long ones for triple chainsets so aim for the middle.

and here I said I was going to avoid too much detail

Steven

lewisfoto":3sgwisbn said:
roadking":3sgwisbn said:
A Stronglight, Miche or Shimano.

Shimano will not work because the chainset is a Campagnolo GS...

Shimano have a suitable fitment, I have a Shimano BB on my GS (chainset) equipped Holdsworth Mistral...the BB doesn't HAVE to be a Campagnolo.

I was trying to keep it simple (KISS) for the OP.

Roadking.

Which Shimano BB is ISO? everyone I have had over the years have been JIS which will not set properly on a Campagnolo chainset. Even the old Dura Ace BBs are their own unique taper and not ISO. Regardless it is hardly keeping it simple to advice someone to look for a special ISO Shimnao bb when the vast majority of Shimano BBs will not be correct.

Back