1989 Raleigh Banana Team Bike - Dave Rayner

Thanks ColnagoC59 - the adjuster ones were staying either way, but knowing they're the "right" ones and why the cobalto ones have no adjuster is useful intel !

TimColnago":2bs649x6 said:
Hi,

I have uploaded some photos on image shack t(see Link Below) that show all the transfers and details on Dave's 88 bike. I understand that when my bike was renovated great care was taken to ensure that the respray and decals were an exact copy. The 89 paint scheme on your bike would have been the same apart from Campagnolo stickers replacing the Shimano ones and as the bikes are the same size they would be in approx the same place

http://imageshack.us/user/banana753

I am loving this link keep up the good work!

Tim

Tim - your images were fantastic and invaluable. I've spent a good half hour on the 'phone to Nick at H Lloyd, about some of choices available. He's managed to figure it all out - what a top bloke.

The one that really had us stumped was the Campagnolo one on the chain stays - however a quick look at the team card with the magnifying glasses, and there's a Reynolds one on the chain side. So unless someone has a non-chain side image, it'll be Reynolds on both sides.

The strangest thing was that the large Raleigh decals on the downtube/seat-tube, were Nick's biggest concerns, initially fortunately they're the only ones I already have!

Another spot from the team Card is a GVD decal at the top on the seat-tube - right at the top in Yellow. Being able to put one of those on, and know it's right, is the icing on the cake, even knowing it's an SBDU bike, if it didn't have one BITD, it wouldn't have had one now.

just back to this thread after a while...just great you've kept the dream alive here and are doing Dave proud! Really looking forward to the finished article. Maybe you could take it out to the 2104 Tour De France on Holme Moss or one of the the other Yorkshire stages, there might be a couple of riders in the field who are there because of the Dave Rayner fund :D , Im sure we could engineer some mentions, we've got Rob Hayles in our village who would love to mention it on Radio 5 live, could bring in some good donations.
Cheers Darren

Thanks for your kind words Darren, I've been mulling over an adventure for 2014 (I don't think I'll be riding anything in 2104) to coincide with Le Tour. I can't think of a better excuse than having the tour pass over holme moss - I was a little higher up the climb in '92 on the Woodhead Pass.

For those who haven't seen this - watch Dave Rayner attack Holme Moss.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p2ytt8z7kw
if you're in a rush start from 7 minutes in...

That said, 42x21 on that climb, might take me some prep...

Right now I'm experiencing massive withdrawal symptoms - I've never trusted anyone else to work on the 'nana before, but as I plan to continue to use it, and I'm not an expert in setting up deltas, it's away being fettled. When I removed the old brake cables they had been rubbed as they passed through the mounts.

In other news, as excited as I was to apply a GVD decal, I've had first hand intel, that this wasn't how the bikes were. It's got to be right, so scrap that decal ! Also some more in depth analysis revealed that the non-chain side chain stay decal was NOT a reynolds after all - I'll keep quiet for now on what I've gone for, because it's been a mix of intel and instinct! See what you think when it's done.

Thanks for the video post I'm only 10 miles from Holme Moss, great stuff I was there too younger and fresh faced! If you could get to one of the tour stages that would be fantastic with or without the bike it's got to be worth a mention, loads of people either know or remember Dave, David Millar in particular was one of the first recipients of funding and he briefly lived in Hayfield and would really appreciate it. So good that an old bike can bring back so many memeries :D . Best of luck
Kind regards Darren

Hi Darren,

I will definitely be watching the tour, next year - I've travelled to Paris to see it many times, was on the sea front in Brighton in '94 (bought tickets in front of the video screen), and in Hyde Park in 2007. Like many more, I've volunteered to be a "Le Tour Maker" next year, although I think they are over subscribed many times.

Cheers

Martin

citrixccea":2df6qioz said:
(I don't think I'll be riding anything in 2104)

I don't think any of us will be riding anything in 2104!

Watched the video you linked to - very impressive indeed. I have no recollection of that on the telly. I was probably watching Postman Pat (I was 6).

Thanks for sharing - added to my "favourites" list on Youtube.

N

Don't read many of the road threads but this has me captivated - nice work!

I was astonished at the quality of the refurb on that saddle. £65 is cheap compared to what a NOS one would be (if you could find one) - and it's always better keeping the original components on the bike. Anyone can throw money at new components, restoring each bit is so much more rewarding.

Rob Atkin":1y3nocue said:

I was astonished at the quality of the refurb on that saddle. £65 is cheap compared to what a NOS one would be (if you could find one) - and it's always better keeping the original components on the bike. Anyone can throw money at new components, restoring each bit is so much more rewarding.

Cheers Rob - your post is quite timely - as the saddle's going back to the restorer next week, not because there's anything wrong with it, but with the additional work she's had in restoring bike saddles, she's been able to source templates for the Turbo logos on the sides of the nose.

Who want's a NOS one, when you can have the original looking like new :)

citrixccea":216xjs5i said:
Rob Atkin":216xjs5i said:

Cheers Rob - your post is quite timely - as the saddle's going back to the restorer next week, not because there's anything wrong with it, but with the additional work she's had in restoring bike saddles, she's been able to source templates for the Turbo logos on the sides of the nose.

Who want's a NOS one, when you can have the original looking like new :)

I got Maggie to sort my old Turbo out and got my hands on the artwork, she has done an amazing job, yours will look just as good when she puts the logos back on it

Latest posts

Back