teaching kids to ride

Take the pedals off, drop the seat and let her scoot around like she did on the balance bike. When she gets the hang of it, put the pedals back on. Don't obsess over optimum seat height for pedalling, being able to reach the ground easily is more important than biomechanical efficiency at this stage. Gradually move it up as confidence builds.

Morning,

My top tips -
smooth footpath
set the pedals up right to start - decide which is child's strongest foot to lead off with
I held the back of the seat and i can see that holding the child might work but the seat worked for me
if they can start right they get balance quite quickly and i hold the seat and run behind - shouting pedal, pedal, pedal!!!
when my daughter had balance, i released the seat without telling her and she still had the confidence that i was holding it
after a few goes at this (quite a few) i told her i had let her go and way she went!
I really think the most important bit is the pedals - once they start right there is little problem with balance and my daughter kept trying to rush with the pedals at 315 and each time i stopped her and got them right

Don't do it on a super hot day - the running behind will kill you!

oh, and you need a little patience too but it is really worth it in the end

Hope this helps,

Richard

MikeD":v17fs0ei said:
Take the pedals off, drop the seat and let her scoot around like she did on the balance bike. When she gets the hang of it, put the pedals back on. Don't obsess over optimum seat height for pedalling, being able to reach the ground easily is more important than biomechanical efficiency at this stage. Gradually move it up as confidence builds.

MikeD is the man you should listen to. It's the best way to get her comfortable with the weight of the bigger bike, but in the comfort zone of a balance bike which she'll remember.

All my three are riding. All started on balance bikes and never touched a stabiliser. Two girls were on 14" bike by 2 1/2-3. My son was on balance bike before 2. He's now a demon. Not ready for pedals yet but not too long.

Balance bikes are the fast track bike school. Plus they seem to have the ability to make kids LOVE cycling long before spills and fears set in.

C948C793-768D-4A55-AAA7-5C14134AF783-938-000000B742E02854.jpg

773D7BA8-45CF-4970-A340-2F9430387D62-938-000000B99FEE8157.jpg

30028E74-9ACC-44D3-A611-447ADF63C4AF-938-000000B718C3556F.mp4

to update.............after one trip to the park where there was a lot of frustration back in mid June, she decided she was going to wait a little bit until summer holidays. Was a bit concerned just "giving up" but decided not to push it.

Last week she decided wanted to ride in Regents Park (we were in town anyway) and "balanced" over 100 yards down gentle slope, was very proud and from the video (that my wife took) she was ready for pedals. Then went to track near here, and after few fault starts, she cycled on her own for 50 yards at a time. Starts and steering a bit wobbly but can't believe it happened a lot easier than I was thinking. Just goes to show the balance route and not stabalisers was right, and their confidence is everything, really glad we left it to her to decide when with just a little nudging, she is absolutely thrilled and can't stop asking about when we can do again.

All mine used stabilisers, didn't know about balance bikes until youngest had learned, but have seen very young siblings coming to the school on balance bikes, using them with such confidence and balance that I'm sure my children didn't have that kind of confidence that early on stabilisers, I think they are awesome for starter bikes.

Alison

David,

Great news!!!! Now time to build here a mini-retro classic!!!!! LOL I am jealous you have a video, i was too busy running up and down to get anything like that.

Hope you are enjoying the fantastic weather,

RIchard

Back