woman arrested for carrying union jack.

technodup":1d96euci said:
I find it utterly bizarre that the same terms applied to different beliefs result in wildly different outcomes.

EDL scum - acceptable
Tory scum - acceptable
Muslim scum - offernsive, racist, inflammatory etc

For some reason this is generally accepted, and it's inconsistencies like this that get peoples backs up.

EDL - a member of the human rights group (as per point one of their mission on their "about us" page on their website) EDL
Tory - a member of the Conservative political party
Muslim - a member of the Islamic religion

Islam is a religion/belief the others aren't. You're interested in inconsistencies, the three groups aren't comparable.

i believe in fixies":3s3n8jdw said:
Islam is a religion/belief the others aren't. You're interested in inconsistencies, the three groups aren't comparable.
And why does a religion get special treatment to any other set of beliefs? It could be argued religion is less important and more open to ridicule than the others because while fairytales appeal to some the fact that Hindus believe in magical elephants doesn't affect me in any way whatsoever, but the actions of political groups affect us all.

And in any case as I pointed out earlier it isn't your thoughts or mine which matter, the fact is many perceive there to be a difference in how certain groups are dealt with. Rightly or wrongly but calling the EDL racist etc isn't going to make them go away.

What political groups in the UK are getting most attention and making the biggest strides in popularity over the last few years? UKIP and on the extreme end the EDL. Make of that what you will.

technodup":1ycye1fm said:
I find it utterly bizarre that the same terms applied to different beliefs result in wildly different outcomes.

EDL scum - acceptable
Tory scum - acceptable
Muslim scum - offernsive, racist, inflammatory etc

For some reason this is generally accepted, and it's inconsistencies like this that get peoples backs up.

I agree.

The term racist seems gets chucked around very easily nowadays. Whites seem to be branded racist for the slightest comment about any other culture or ethnicity.

I would rather live in a Christian area than a Muslim,does this make me racist?

Groups like the EDL come about because they feel that the English culture is being ignored and their communities are being changed for the worse.

Lots of people do feel like this. and they are entitled to feel this way. Labeling them racists and ignoring them will only make normal people turn to more radical groups to voice their concerns.

I don't think undermining the police is the answer to any of the problems in our society.

They are doing a damn difficult job in a very difficult time.

videojetman":3v4dhq01 said:
i saw in the video a person of ethnic origin complaining, sorry if that offends.

I really don't know what you mention this for. Does this somehow support your view?

Are you suggesting, after all this discussion, that your thread title, "woman arrested for carrying union jack." holds water?

How do you know the man in question was not a bystander, who noted these fools were out to cause havoc and attempted to intervene?

What does his skin colour tell you? You assume he is less English than you?

Techodup.

EDL have proven affiliations with the likes of the NF and BNP, so I will reserve the right to label them scum.

I know some very nice Tories so I wouldn't call them scum, but I am sure some are just as some EDL may be decent, if misguided.

highlandsflyer, I find 99% of your posts balanced, intelligent and levelheaded and i enjoy reading them.

This is why im confused you would blanket all of the EDL as scum, surly some of them just want to be able to voice their views without being labeled racists etc.

The ack of blanketing labeling groups is stereotypical do you not think? To blatantly ignore the thoughts of large numbers of people is not a good idea.

dan smith":23493yb8 said:
highlandsflyer, I find 99% of your posts balanced, intelligent and levelheaded and i enjoy reading them.

This is why im confused you would blanket all of the EDL as scum, surly some of them just want to be able to voice their views without being labeled racists etc.

The ack of blanketing labeling groups is stereotypical do you not think? To blatantly ignore the thoughts of large numbers of people is not a good idea.

"I know some very nice Tories so I wouldn't call them scum, but I am sure some are just as some EDL may be decent, if misguided."

Of course it is a generalisation, and I usually try to avoid those but it certainly describes the element that are most vocal in the EDL.

They are themselves mightily involved in stereotyping, it is the core of their message. I would suggest they are not a large number anyway.

UKIP might be able to claim large numbers, but not the EDL.

Back