Bontrager Stiff Forks

robhamps

Retro Newbie
Hi

I am looking for some original Bontrager 1" steerer forks for my 1990 Bonty off road.

Does anyone have some spare ones for sale?

Cheers Rob

Be aware, stiff is the last thing these forks are. I had a set on my Salsa as standard and had to change them asap due to the blades flailing around under even moderate braking!
I think the crown is just too shallow?

Ok thanks for the hint. I have some excellent Marzocchi bombers on the bike but was thinking rigid forks were more in keeping. I do think at the time you could spec Pace or Rockshock sus forks.

Disco Drive":1roffphi said:
Be aware, stiff is the last thing these forks are. I had a set on my Salsa as standard and had to change them asap due to the blades flailing around under even moderate braking!

Agreed.

I had a set of Bontrager Comps back in the day, and they had way more torsional stiffness than the crappy Orange fork that came with my Clockwork. They did have a bit of fore / aft movement which made the ride a bit more supple than the likes of a Pace RC30. If the legs were flailing around under braking that probably has more to do with brake set up than anything else. The same thing still can happen today on cyclocross forks unless the front exposed brake cable is kept short etc etc..

You have a '90 OR? Pics please

a35f6be0ff9eced9c32346ae2f3f3468.jpg

Back