why did my knees hurt after 20 miles?

It's how it seems to work for me, anyway - when you're in the saddle it's mostly for spinning along on flatter going, anytime I need to climb I'm out of the saddle pretty much all of the time and that seems a lot easier on my knees than pushing a lower gear but staying seated.

I really don't seem to be able to climb half decently on a geared bike anymore - I'm in too high a gear, too low a gear, having a choice seems to make it harder. Same with suspension - lock it out or not, Propedal on or off??
Too much for my old brain to cope with :roll: .

Looks like your cranks are being polished by the inside of your shoe.

That'd be tight muscles down the inside of your legs. You putting pressure on the knee and over compensating by slightly twisting the heel in too.

Inner thigh stretching exercises should do it.

Wow!

I got the same pain behind my kneecaps last week :shock:

I put it down to doing a bit too much as i "get back into it" after a lazy 6 months, iirc i was out every day for 4 days.

I have also been trying to spin slower and use the big ring on the bike a lot more to help build up my legs, so i figured it was just a cocktail of pain ready to happen.

I did my last ride on the monday, left it all week and went back out on the friday, after 2-3 miles it came back :roll: i dropped onto the middle front ring and just started spinning easier/faster and it disappeared.

I was just actually talking about this today at work with another keen MTB`r. Been out tonight and done approx 12.5 miles at a reasonable average pace (around 11.5mph) and the knees felt totally fine.

Mehh!

I used to have lots of pain in my instep and feet and occasionally it would affect my knees.

I went and had a deep muscle (oooh errr) sports massage...it hurt like hell, but after a few days it felt like someone had given me a new pair of legs! I'd recommend it to anyone, and you don't need to be a pro to have one!

Also you can get those rollers that are really good for massaging the tops of your legs (quads) and the side of your legs where your quad muscles meet your hamstrings....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6LGxbhju4A

All of these muscles will affect your knees in one way or another.

Andy R":2vwp6gmh said:
hamster":2vwp6gmh said:
Since then I have switched to singlespeeds and aged 8 years, with no further problems.

Singlespeeds are kinder on knees, in my experience, as you typically spend far more time out of the saddle whenever you need power.

Very interesting. Coming from a knee injury background I can't say I have had a problem due to the option of different cadences.

I can fully dig the logic relating to out of the saddle work though, there could well be something in that.

I agree with the SS out the sadle thing. I climb out of the saddle almost all the time now whether on an SS or a geared bike.

Also Glucosamine Chondroitin suplements are good for the joints. Keep hydrated too!!!

I have the problem as well, but after blood tests etc, its just muscle ache from overuse.

If you are using cleats and spds maybe worth checking out the fit. I know I have a problem because if I push wrongly I can do my knees in so I need some wedges or something.

2 things for knee issues - spd's with lots of float.

Different types of exercise - sometimes the muscles around the knees can get overdeveloped in one area due to the amount of one single exercise you do - these overdeveloped ones then pull the joint out of shape. It's worth trying a gentle run on grass or a track or some leg exercises & stretches. Best advice is a physio who can identify if its muscular or joint/ligament related though.

secret_squirrel":3r1ecal1 said:
2 things for knee issues - spd's with lots of float.

I've got knee problems and the only clipless pedals I can use are Time ATAC. I could never get enough movement in SPDs.

Back