Gripshift recommendations please

Bullpup

Senior Retro Guru
My Daughter is really struggling with standard shifters and wants to revert to gripshifts.

Are there any that can be recommended - ideally nicer than the Sram Max she used to have.

Shimano compatable would be ideal but if worthwhile I could switch the mechs as well.

Long term will be 3 x 7 but I will start off with a single ring up front.

Many thanks

Islabikes have SRAM 3.0 Comp on the kids bikes and my son has no problems with them, they are mated with SRAM rear mechs though.

I think the nearest are the MRX Comp. At least they look similar.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gripshift-SRA ... 1c330739ff
this style
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Sram-MRX-MTB-Mou ... ~60_12.JPG

For shimano you can pick up the NOS SACHS style GripShift Neos shifter for 7 or 8 speed for less then £10 I have these on one of my bikes and are easy to use and you can also use the wider grip part to shift if needed. No idea how they'll work with child hands though.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Sachs Wavey work as reliably as you can get for gripshifts.
Shimano compatible.
They are chunky turners (easy to twist due to grippy design)... Colour coded & changeable too! Kids probably like that.
The cables are dead easy to change.
The casings aren't liable to cracking as they seem sturdier than most earlier designs.

All of my mtb's have grip shift.

For Shimano compatible shifters, I would give a second vote to MRX, they are cheaper and easier to get hold of than Attack, which I don't think are much of an improvement.

If you want to go SRAM, then the new XO and XX shifters are in a totally different class, but at what they cost, so they should be!

Neil, MRX are still going. the ones I link to are the latest revision of them. Personally I like my srt600 as they work smoothly, accurately with little effort.
MRX are now sprung iirc and an evolution of their older designs.

what age child are we talking about?

Has anyone used the Wavey/Neos style like for like with say an SRT-600, i'm temped to get a set to try but don't want to end up wasting them.

If her hands are small she may struggle to grip them (my sons did). Thumbies can be twisted with the whole hand and may be worth considering. I swapped the Gripshift on the 20" Islabike to an old 6 speed thumbie and we had no more problems.

hamster":14jglhkc said:
If her hands are small she may struggle to grip them (my sons did). Thumbies can be twisted with the whole hand and may be worth considering. I swapped the Gripshift on the 20" Islabike to an old 6 speed thumbie and we had no more problems.
My son had no problem on his Beinn-20L (7sp) and his now Beinn-24 (8sp but same shifter) both used the newer 3.0 Comp.

---
SRT600 vs SACHS Wavey.
I have and use both*, I prefer the SRT600 myself.
The Waveys are a bit chunkier and have a simpler cable change, some (or one) has a spring assist to help with the shifting. They are nice for a leisurely riding bike if you use a glove setup that finds shifting SRT600 hard in the wet for whatever reason as you can move to the large diameter section to get a better grip to change.

I intend to use a SRT800/600 hybrid on my next setup

*actually I use neither at the moment as they were both stolen (altitude and alu-o in my sig if you want to see the setup)

Latest posts

Back