Strip Lacquer off Nickel Orange P7 --> Nail Varnish Remover?

imjustcreative

Dirt Disciple
So have a nice P7 that has numerous spots of surface rust 'under' the somewhat patchy lacquer. Seen a few posts with tips on how to remove the lacquer, ranging from the Tin Foil and Warm Water trick to the more industrial Nitomors trick, which frankly scares me.

Now someone has pointed out that he used Nail Polish Remover to remove the lacquer from his P7. Said it took a little longer for it to 'soften' it up, but said that it was a far safer and nickel friendlier option that Nitromors.

I have tried the Tin Foil approach, and although it does seem to work, the time and effort needed to not get much off is a little off putting. I don't mind spending time on polishing, but not scraping a frame :)

Wondered if any one else has tried the Nail Polish remover approach on their Nickel P7? And if so, how did it go for you?

Graham

Re: Strip Lacquer off Nickel Orange P7 --> Nail Varnish Remo

Nitromors applied with a paint brush with the frame on a big piece of cardboard or wood which can be thrown away afterwards.
Use some old washing up gloves, and face protection.
Anything else is just wasting time IMHO.

The various methods above will all work and which one suits best will in part depend on your type and thickness of lacquer. My P7 frame had the original lacquer on which was fairly thin and brittle and came off reasonably easy with wire wool, it was quite therapeautic seeing the shine come through and I did the whole frame by hand over a few nights in front of the TV. However my F7 forks have much thicker non orignal lacquer and these will be subjected to nitromors if that does not work they will be soft media blasted. Good Luck

I used Wurth Gasket remover (available on ebay)to get the lacquer off my Kona frame.
Spray on & leave for 15 to 20 mins then with rubber gloves on use a scotchbrite pad to take it off.
It took two goes to do mine.

Nitromors will be fine and gentle as it's been rubbish ever since the changed the strength of it.

Re: Remove/strip Lacquer from Nickel Orange P7

Chopper1192":w7sobnlf said:
Get it soft media blasted. Job done.

Ohhh that's a new one one me. Always curious to find out about new methods just incase the future me requires it… :) Cheers.

Dossa":36q7hn3r said:
Brillo pad works too.

Yup, the Brillo pad is a marvellous thing, but in this case it just isn't even making a dent in the lacquer. I have since read that the hardness of lacquer can vary quite a lot, or more the durability of it over time. Think from trying the Tin foil approach, and Brillo pad that the lacquer on my bike is pretty robust as I just can't get close to removing any. :)

Aluminium Ohhh":2gtv11sp said:
The various methods above will all work and which one suits best will in part depend on your type and thickness of lacquer. My P7 frame had the original lacquer on which was fairly thin and brittle and came off reasonably easy with wire wool, it was quite therapeautic seeing the shine come through and I did the whole frame by hand over a few nights in front of the TV. However my F7 forks have much thicker non orignal lacquer and these will be subjected to nitromors if that does not work they will be soft media blasted. Good Luck

Indeed, this is what I have subsequently read in other places that the lacquer can vary, so the methods one needs to employ will also vary.

I can't wait to find a solution that works, and I do like the sense of progress in something like this especially with the anticipation of seeing how this Nickel might come up for me. Just not had much luck with the non- acid type methods.

Back