woman arrested for carrying union jack.

since when has a union jack been an "inflammatory item" ?
i'd just like the british to be free to be british.
if that involves a bit of flag waving, no harm done.

this statement has nothing to do with EDL.
just my opinion.

<Pedant mode>
It is only the Union Jack when it is attached to a boat or a ship. At all other times it is the Union Flag.
</Pedant mode>
In my view the EDL are exactly the same as the extremists they claim to be "protesting" against. Same rhetoric, different "god".

The EDL aren't the same, and that's where they're truly dangerous. Not seen any white Christians stabbing soldiers to death in our streets, or going on suicide bombing missions on the underground. The do occupy a moral high ground on this issue, and that's where they are really quite scary as people on the fringes of society, the gullible, or misguided patriots just seeking a cause will flock to them.

Economy down the U bend, high unemployment, the rise of a small but very vocal ultra right is all worrying enough, as history books of detailing 1930s Germany will attest. Add to this mix religious extremism and insurgency and that might just be the prod in the wrong direction that society needs. Lovely.

Just dismissing them wrongly as simple nutters, or 'the same as the other lot' is to allow them to flourish.

Funny story about the EDL and my wife's Grandma...

if it was a muslim having a flag taken from them it would be a case of discrimination.
if it's a white born & bred english person then we are just trouble makers.
too many double standards for my liking.
too many minorities being allowed to take a dump on our door step.
it seems when english people want to take a stand, they just get beaten down.

The union flag is the flag of the union, thats it !

Its not a political statement by the far right, but it will be if we let it get highjacked by stupid acts like tearing it down and arresting people because someone objects to what is supposedly his/her nations flag.

If you find your nations flag offensive, are you not the problem with social cohesion ?

"At no point was she arrested, or did she have her Union Flag confiscated from her."

What is so difficult to understand?

http://www.gmp.police.uk/live/nhoodv3.n ... enDocument

It is clear from the video clip that the union flag was attached to, or at least on the same pole as, some form of banner. This is what the police are suggesting was inflammatory, not the union flag itself, which they presumably returned to her once they had removed the offending article.

I am happy to give the police the benefit of the doubt here, rather than EDL scum. They weren't gathering in a town centre to drink lemonade and eat strawberries, they were there to provoke trouble. That is what our police force are there to prevent, and public views are being manipulated by those with nefarious ends.

Seems there are plenty who would rather exclude any possibility other than another excuse to get all up on it about 'minorities' and Muslims.

Welcome back to 1930s Britain, Oswald Mosley's Fan Club.

videojetman":2ax0ubse said:
if it was a muslim having a flag taken from them it would be a case of discrimination.
if it's a white born & bred english person then we are just trouble makers.
too many double standards for my liking.
too many minorities being allowed to take a dump on our door step.
it seems when english people want to take a stand, they just get beaten down.

Were it a group of extremists of any kind wishing to inflame matters they would have been dealt with in the same manner.

"'White' born and bred english person"?

Plenty white born and bred English Muslims.

Besides, these EDL scum ARE troublemakers, who doubts that?

father_ted_down_with_this_sort_of_t.jpg

Back