Swingarm concerns opinions needed...Now f**ked!

wookiee

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I was trying to swap out the shock on my 1997 Mount Vision and I am having a lot of hassle trying to get the bolt out that attaches the shock to the swing arm...gentle persuasion turned to brute force then anger! So whilst my anger subsided I thought I would double check the condition of my swingarm. I had notice what I thought was chewed heli tape but on closer inspection, and after removing the tape it is worse than I thought. Its some pretty serious looking gouges in the underside of the swingarm and I am now wondering if it is safe to ride anyway? I do have a 1999 Mount Vision also which I was going to use for parts to build up one good bike. Should I just swap the swingarms and be done with it? I like the look of the older swingarm however so if it is ok would rather keep it original. Where would I stand if a 1997 frame had a 1999 swingarm would it still be retro??

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

A slightly "grrrr" Doug :roll:

Attachments

• swingarm.JPG
    swingarm.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 520
  • swingarm2.JPG
    swingarm2.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 520
Re: Swingarm concerns opinions needed...

It's not gone through the tube, there are no signs of cracks...I'd ride it and remember to check every few months.

hamster":o1mxum7t said:
It's not gone through the tube, there are no signs of cracks...I'd ride it and remember to check every few months.

Its not gone through the tube but they are deep and no other cracks etc...looks like it may have been scraped against something very hard! Still can't get the arsing bolt out anyhow!!!

Depending on how thick the alu is down there...4,5mm? you may be ok if you aren't gonna beat the bike to death in a 'totally rad' manner. fill the gauges with resin to keep stuff out then re-heli-tape again.

But, as i can feel the criticism on the above comment looming..maybe do a swap as you mentioned if safety and peace and of mind is on the cards. Providing the front triangle is --->1997 then, i won't say owt. ;)

I would have to see for myself the extent of that damage, chain given it a beating? So, there is a chance that I would make do and mend but, the rain just lately means you need something to do! A rear end transplant((ooo, errr)) just may well keep the wookiee busy until han gets the new hyperdrive ordered for the falcon :)

marc two tone":22wvzeut said:
Depending on how thick the alu is down there...4,5mm? you may be ok if you aren't gonna beat the bike to death in a 'totally rad' manner. fill the gauges with resin to keep stuff out then re-heli-tape again.

But, as i can feel the criticism on the above comment looming..maybe do a swap as you mentioned if safety and peace and of mind is on the cards. Providing the front triangle is --->1997 then, i won't say owt. ;)

I would have to see for myself the extent of that damage, chain given it a beating? So, there is a chance that I would make do and mend but, the rain just lately means you need something to do! A rear end transplant((ooo, errr)) just may well keep the wookiee busy until han gets the new hyperdrive ordered for the falcon :)

Ha thanks Marc...would you believe that my wife is called Han! The later 1999 swingarm is the tubular one so no disguising its age the 1998 was the same but it changed in 1999...

...Now just the bolt to shift before I start roaring like a wookiee that caught his spaceballs in a vice!

wookiee":x8d27wq5 said:
Ha thanks Marc...would you believe that my wife is called Han!

Lemme guess ... your dog looks like this?

wookie-dog.jpg

Keep in mind that that part of the swingarm doesn't really have a rough life. Most of the stress is handled by the thinner top tubes (the ones that hold the canti mounts).

Raging_Bulls":gma1gfih said:
wookiee":gma1gfih said:
Ha thanks Marc...would you believe that my wife is called Han!

Lemme guess ... your dog looks like this?

wookie-dog.jpg

Keep in mind that that part of the swingarm doesn't really have a rough life. Most of the stress is handled by the thinner top tubes (the ones that hold the canti mounts).

Shit its like you know me that is just like my dog!!!

Attachments

• dex 2.jpg
    dex 2.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 489
  • dex.jpg
    dex.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 489

Any advise on getting the bolt out??? I've tried penetrating oil and smacking it with a hammer but its not budging!!! Its the one that holds the shock into the swingarm.....

Did you disconnect the other end of the shock? Just making sure it's not tension that's holding the bolt in.

I take it you've tried drifting it out? And yes I do mean in a Fast n' Furious style, but not THAT style... :LOL:

the-fast-and-the-furious-tokyo-drift-20060501051111465-000.jpg

Back