Found my old Raleigh racer in Dads Garage

Leevis":316xud2f said:
Which bearing to be stripped and greased ? also where can i get Alexanders Brake Pads?
Sorry, no such thing as Alexander's brake pads - that's an Apple predictive hiccup.

Wheel bearings, bottom bracket, and freehub.

on an old bike like that you are better off getting a new chain and rear screw on freewheel, it will make it ride like new (once the bottom bracket is greased, i normally get local bike shop to do the bottom bracket)

i would recommend the shimano 7-speed MFZ21 rear freewheel (then you will get more gears than you have now). if you upgrade to 7-speed you need to adjust the max limit screws on the rear mech to get the extra gears.

you can get Cane Creek brake lever hoods on ebay for cheap in that brown colour.

its a 18-23 steel raleigh frame, so its not one of the lighter weight reynolds frames, but still fairly good anyway.

a good way of getting rust off the frame is rub hard with a car cutting polish (i often find that the cheaper stuff from places like "wilkinsons" are more effective than T-cut)

Awesome chaps.
Tell ya what mine has that i havent seen others have and thats the bottle holder AND the bottle :) Bottle was moved away from bike when i took the pics :)

Just been to local bike shop and they gave me an adjusting screw for the rear brake so i should have that working again very soon. Just the gears to sort out now

I will be back :)

Hmmm gears are a bit of a nightmare. I have taken out the gear cable but when i manually shift (move) the rear derailleur i cannot seem to get it to start on the smallest 'cog' and then move over to the largest 'cog'. I can get it to start at the smallest one using the adjusting screws but from that start position i cannot get it to move across (using hands) to the largest 'cog'.

Anyone know what the issue is here? I thought that this derailleur moved the distance from the smallest to the largest cogs but it seems to be able to do this except when the starting point is the smallest one.

Bit wierd, not too sue what to do on this. Derailleur busted maybe?

Have you screwed both the screws down to the stops? Can you post a pic of the rear mech screws......

Shaun

I'll do it tomorrow, just started raining large here. Just to confirm though, i will screw both down to the stops and take a picture.

If memory serves me the top screw is Low (L) and the bottom one is High (H), as you unscrew the top one the mechanism should be able to move forther inward as the mechanism is alowed to travel inwards. keep on unscrewing until it lines up with and changes to the largest cog........whilst pedalling.

The natural spring of the mechanism pushes it towards the smallest cog.

You cant just push it easilly with your fingers as the spring is quite strong so you need to use the levers, never really needed to change by hand but you need to apply quite a bit of pressure.

Does this help?

Shaun

Back