Freewheel compatibility

Thanks both,

Midlife - should I assume then that the OLD of 130mm is okay for 5/6 speed? Are spacers of any sort required?

I had interpreted Old Ned's post above to mean that 7 speed is my only option...?

should I assume then that the OLD of 130mm is okay for 5/6 speed? Are spacers of any sort required?

If it is a quick release hub measure the length of the hollow axle.
I'm aware of Campag. axles of 126mm. (for 5 speed block, 120mm. between dropouts) and 136mm., which would appear to be for 7-speed block, 130mm. between dropouts?)
There was probably an in-between one- (132mm?) for 6-speed block, 126mm. between dropouts. Perhaps someone can confirm?

I would think the critical thing is to get axle-length reasonably well-matched with distance between dropouts. If you've got that, then messing around with axle-spacers may be necessary to fine-tune the distance over-lock-nuts.

Freewheel blocks by Regina, Everest, Maillard, Suntour, Shimano- any of these-and others i've forgotten-should screw onto your hub, which is probably an English thread- there will be written information around the shoulder which will tell you. If the hub is English thread, avoid French thread freewheels. (Ask TGR!) IME freewheels go on very easy all the way to the shoulder with a bit of grease. If you encounter any resistance, stop! something is wrong- either dirt or unmatched threads.

Pound to a penny the spacing is 126mm (just measure between the dropouts or the rear locknuts (OLD= Outer locknut Distance) which seemed to drag on as the standard spacing for years until the need for 8-9-10 speed came along and then it jumped to 130mm for much more modern frames.

Stick to 5/6 speed block(freewheel) and matching chain and you can't go far wrong.......If it's a UK bike then I'd assume it's UK threads :)

Shaun

Back