Flandria 1978 Campagnolo Nuovo Record

Deax":3550ss2n said:
I still can't make out the date on the crank arms, but the machined `bulge' on the inside of the drive side looks quite large - if it is the large version that would signify `pre CPSC', pre '78 and would be a mismatch with the front mech.

To complete the survey the bottom bracket would have to come apart to look at the axle markings! The differences are pretty small, so don't panic - it no doubt rides perfectly well!

Wow, I'm starting to understand why Sherlock Holmes originates from the UK ;)

I've just checked the cranks: on the back they say '170 STRADA'. On the pedal mount is written '9/16 x 20F' but that's refering to the pedal axle size I pressume?

Old Ned":1e5bhlmt said:
Very nice, my favourite! Super condition for the year. One small point (and I may be wrong) but the hubs have 'Record' on them which - I think - makes them older than the bike and, if so, definitely older than the curved QR's.

Absolutely correct for the Retro Ronde. Freddy would love it!

I thought Campagnolo Record hubs had 'Record' on them up to the last days of the SR groupset in 1984.

agentorange":18ga9poi said:
Old Ned":18ga9poi said:
Very nice, my favourite! Super condition for the year. One small point (and I may be wrong) but the hubs have 'Record' on them which - I think - makes them older than the bike and, if so, definitely older than the curved QR's.

Absolutely correct for the Retro Ronde. Freddy would love it!

I thought Campagnolo Record hubs had 'Record' on them up to the last days of the SR groupset in 1984.

Perhaps it's the other way round then :? Early ones DIDN'T have the Record name on them? I know I've got both types but they're all up in the loft - and I ain't going up there in these temperatures to check!

After some long winter months, being some nice piece of decoration in my livingroom, I finally found a good moment to ride this bike for the first time. Unfortunately I couldn't make it to the Retroronde two days ago, but she has finaly seen the road. Or cobblestones and dirt roads, as you wish. Perfect environment for a Flandria! The bike rides fabulous. Size is perfect for me: I took some tools to make small adjustments, but I didn't need them at all!

Some pictures:

4qgbkg.jpg

2w4dvr7.jpg

flh7cw.jpg

el39lz.jpg

idrl6x.jpg

hu4rix.jpg

2wn3ccw.jpg

The bottle is not original: I made a sticker myself and put it on a white bottle. Not the real deal, but looks good imho!

Re:

Deax":1o7m7dii said:
Lovely!

Interesting brand, Flandria. I think I'm right in saying that the brothers who ran it, fell out and built a brick wall through the middle of their workshop to continue their work in isolation..

I think this is true. The original brand split into two, one part was Flandria and the other part became Superia.
Flandria was of course sponsor of most of the big names in Belgian cycling up to the early 1980s- Van Looy, de Vlaeminck (both of them), Maertens, etc etc. Superia got Eddy Merckx, though. Now there's a dilemma: which would you rather have on your team? Eddy Merckx, or all the others put together...

Very nice............modern bikes should have more chrome :D

Like the environmentally friendly bike stand :)

Shaun

Re: Re:

Johnsqual":s3zk8lsi said:
Deax":s3zk8lsi said:
Lovely!

Interesting brand, Flandria. I think I'm right in saying that the brothers who ran it, fell out and built a brick wall through the middle of their workshop to continue their work in isolation..

I think this is true. The original brand split into two, one part was Flandria and the other part became Superia.
Flandria was of course sponsor of most of the big names in Belgian cycling up to the early 1980s- Van Looy, de Vlaeminck (both of them), Maertens, etc etc. Superia got Eddy Merckx, though. Now there's a dilemma: which would you rather have on your team? Eddy Merckx, or all the others put together...

Rik van Looy rode Superia immediately after the split with the Solo-Superia team that included Patrick Sercu when he made the transition from track to road. I think Vin Denson was also a team member.

Re: Re:

Old Ned":8r5rwy3j said:
Johnsqual":8r5rwy3j said:
Deax":8r5rwy3j said:
Lovely!

Rik van Looy rode Superia immediately after the split with the Solo-Superia team that included Patrick Sercu when he made the transition from track to road. I think Vin Denson was also a team member.

Yep, looks like Vin Denson rode for Solo-Superia in 1964 according to De Wielersite.

Back