Rapid rise rear mech.

Indeed it lasts as long. The difference is that in RR the spring is used on its own to make a downshift. So it is pushing against chain tension. On a conventional (high-normal) mech, the spring works with chain tension to make an upshift.
A weak spring gives a sluggish up-shift for a conventional mech, but no jumping. A weak RR spring means a jump up the gears every time you stomp on the pedals - usually when you are climbing. Decide accordingly.

I'm getting confused here between rapid rise and reverse action, is there a difference or are they the same.
The mech i have is reverse action.

Dual Control shifters:
dsc0016fy.jpg

I've run 'em with dura-ace 7600 bar end jobbies,and normal rapid fire ones,both were fine and dandy,although not as pimp as those ^

Never tried a RR; felt it was solving a non-existent problem on the rear. Better to rely on a cable forced down-shift (bigger sprocket) rather than depend on a spring. Never understood why Shimano didn't put more research on the FD where you could have a good reliable down-shift to the granny regardless of spring strength.

Back