lets see your retro road action photos ...

• Thread starter Deleted member 24574
  • Start date
Montello":2s1lvls3 said:
pigman":2s1lvls3 said:
I always found it somewhat sad that those UK testers were untouchable here, but failed at the olympics, worlds etc. Makes you wonder what they might have done with all todays team GB backup.

I think Obree and Boardmans hour records were as good as any Worlds / Olympics and of course Boardman went on to medal in Barcelona.

The UK TT scene is unique to the UK (pretty much).

Indeed - TT courses in continental Europe tend to be technical and challenging rather than going for sheer flat-out speed on busy roads with artifical "draft" effects. Middling overseas performances by Brits who clocked fast rides at home only served to highlight that particular gulf although there were odd exceptions, usually from riders who had adapted well to the road scene on the continent (didn't Vin Denson secure a top-10 berth in the GP des Nations back in the 60s?).

David

Montello":26nqe7i7 said:
I think Obree and Boardmans hour records were as good as any Worlds / Olympics and of course Boardman went on to medal in Barcelona.
definitely, but these weren't only exceptional athletes......

Boardman had peter Keen behind him, who for me was the father of modern (and clean) bike performance training. Keen ditched all the "miles, miles and more miles" philosophy that appears to have been prevalent in uk coaching to that point and applied cardio vascular science.

Obree was just an awkward bugger (and i mean this in a loving and complimentary sense) who thought out of the box and flew in the face of convention cos he knew he could do better.

Back