Germ Warfare

A friend of mine tried to convince me a while ago that there are huge underground cities in America where all the politicians and captains of industry will remain safe and well when massive solar flares destroy all technology. He told me that when the solar flares disrupt all electrical systems there will not longer be any electricity and civilisation will come to an end.

I gave him two flaws in his theory:

First, if civilisation did fall and we returned to some sort of bronze or iron age, then what good would it do all the politicians (who have no practical skills whatsoever) saving themselves, as they would hardly be able to take up where they had left off, if the society where they had previously held power no longer existed.

Second: Civilisation, industry, Government etc all evolved and became effective long before electricity. After all, the Victorians probably considered themselves civilised.

Some folks get some funny ideas.

BTW: The solar flare thing is real, which is why aircraft have shielded electrical systems and multiple system redundancy built in.

Solar flares can be disruptive, but unlikely one would be carastrophic. Of more worry is a shift in the magnetic poles so the earths magnetic polarity is reversed. This would sinknus big time, A/C wouldn't work without beiglng re engineered etc. and we know its happened before because of the alignment of particles in fossils.

And the way the magnetic pole has started to drift suggests we're on the verge of it happening again...

And isn't the movement of the poles more of an immigration issue? I don't do politics and religion on here.

(I will reach a thousand posts by the end of the month....)

Chopper1192":wg1yl43s said:
Of more worry is a shift in the magnetic poles so the earths magnetic polarity is reversed. This would sinknus big time, A/C wouldn't work without beiglng re engineered etc.

I can't see why it would affect the generation and distribution of our AC electricity supply? Anyway, I believe it takes thousands of years to reverse so it won't be a big problem for us even if it is happening now.

It affects rectification of AC to DC in some way.

the process takes thousands of years to complete, but along the way there are periods of stregnthening and weakening, and even multiple poles, which can expose various parts of the Earth, and aircraft in flight, to increased radiation levels.

Back