British steel ,Lee Cooper content!

mtbdave":2l9tnywd said:
I just looked up the eBay listing, it's a Columbus sl tubed frame and seller said it weighed in at 2.3kg what ever that is in lbs I don't know! :oops:

A 19" frame with a 1-1/8th head set required,head tube is 4 and half inches long

Is that a decent weight for a 19" frame set?

its just over 5lb, not the lightest but not bad :cool:

Yes that's what the seller had put on his sales listing.
It's a larger size (19") so not too bad considering its not the top of the line Columbus tubing.

To my mind the SL tubeset, is the Columbus equivalent to Reynolds 531. Whilst not quite to the level of the other tubeset offered by the seller on the other frame, to my mind it didnt need quite as much work and it does have the rear cable guide still in place.

Its nice to see something different and yet still handmade in Great Britain too.

I think this could be quite a bike when its built tbh.

Im kinda glad you did have it, i think if i were let loose with this i would go a little wild with it when it came to paint work. After all, Really you have a totally Blank canvas, with no constraints other than your imagination.

The world is your Oyster, you cant go wrong.

Here is the only other example that im aware of that has been shown on the site.

A custom ordered lee Cooper Tarrantula made from Reynolds 653 with the rigid straight fork.

Given Just how many frames lee Cooper and Co, have fabricated under there own name and built for Other companies and shops/shop based Race teams, it really is nice to finally see something here on retro bike.

this will be a worthy addition to the British Steel thread too IMHO.

Looking forward to seeing your imagination run wild with this.

:cool:

Attachments

• 6s56qu.jpg
    6s56qu.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 453
Thanks for the photo Carl

Funny you mention the 653 frame being called tarantula as that is one of the decals on this frame,i know also Webster's is on there too maybe that was what the named it too?

I emailed Lee yesterday and asked about fabricating forks and a stem for me.
But as of yet am waiting on a reply.

sinnerman":1uhjpxod said:
Looking forward to seeing your imagination run wild with this.

Good thing I didn't get the other one then, cos my imagination can run pretty blummin wild. :shock:

Re:

wow, this is an old thread,
Used to be my bike (as was the other)
if you still want any info about it, then let me know.

IRRC the tubeset for this one was Columbus SL
All Websters hand build frames were called "Tarantula" (because of the 'web')
Was originally British racing green. with chromed rigid fork legs in rockshox crown.

Latest posts

Back