Raleigh Record Sprint - Help Required.

i asked H Lloyd Cycles recently if he had any RRS decals, but they are all sold out. they only ones he has left are early 80's raleigh record decals sets (which look much different to what you need)

your only option would be to get a signwriter with a vinyl laser cutter to knock you some replicas up from photographs of the originals.

Good luck with the bike, here's a pic of mine (before I built it up properly, but it shows the decals and so on).

raleigh_152.jpg

A large pic of an equally large Record from 1988 to knock off your list. Same forks but different frame.

100% original if you ignore the Wright's leather saddle... *EDIT - and the wheels!

file.php

Heres another of mine with the older style forks

raleigh_record_sprint_1_200.jpg

gentlemen, many thanks, that has helped nicely, I can actually see what decals I need now & some decent inspiration with the above frames!

I'll be honest and was hoping mine was one of the early frames, but I cannot grumble at all at the price I paid.

There are some decalsets on ebay, but not the proper job so I may have to do as described and go to a signwriter and get some made up - the "designed & made in Nottingham" that flies down the ST will be a bit tricky as mine has about 6 total letters left!

Tonight is dismantle night, hopefully it'll not cause me too much hassle but as it's been stood idle for many a moon i'm not holding my breath!

Cheers guys.

rusty bodie":1zwr061t said:
good luck in finding a "THUN GAMMA GOLD" chainset!!

:shock:

agreed - not even going to try, this has a maximum of £80 - £100 budget including the purchase price. Got some gold cable outers & raleigh black bartape on order (£9 for both) and i've got a few shimano bits & pieces knocking about. Found a kalloy seatpost in a box & some tanwalls so realistically it's a shimano crankset & black saddle & new chain that's needed. existing crankarms are ok but the nds one is scratched and looks very shabby. Chain is grotty, easier to throw a new one on. Any thoughts on a suitable saddle - rolls or a turbo would be a bit much on this, not sure what to do as I can't ride on 'armchair' saddles, need something that's relatively sleek but also 80's?

Well done on your bargain mate, I have the same bike but mines 84 with external cables.
I'm planning on having Shimano golden arrow throughout on mine by next month so i will have the gold Sugino crank arms / chain-set for sale
(what it would have been sold with i think)

they are a bit bulky and im not dead set on keeping gold hardware, just gonna get new gold jagwire casing as a nod to the original scheme.
I've learnt quite a bit about the bike since i got it so PM me with any questions.
Is yours 501 through or just frame?

on ebay at the moment there are some NOW Decals for the record.

i struggled with a suitable saddle, ended up whacking a new madison flux on it with fizik honey brown bar tape, black and tan look mint.

Re: Raleigh Record Sprint - Finished

Quick update on this one. Bike stripped, an afternoon with the T-Cut, a dig around the parts bin gave me Exage 300 front & rear mech's that are about right for the year of the frame ('89) & the seat-post & seat-pin & bottle cage. Purchases: Cheap & cheerful saddle, new Raleigh bar-tape & Raleigh pedals, then gold cable outers, new cables all round, new brake pads and some second hand wheels with Shimano HG cassette and a new chain. Oh and some new but incorrect decals - couldn't be ar$ed to get ones made up so these do the job.

Including purchase price, it stands me at a few pence over £126. Wasn't counting on needing new wheels but there you go. Bit heavy for my liking, but it wasn't bought as a racing snake, more of gentle summer spinner. However, it seems she's of to Manchester as a mate fancies dabbling with a bit of retro bike action for his work commuter. That and the fact that his trusty MTB has finally given up the ghost. Got a few weeks of riding it before the Manchester weather undoes all that T-cutting!

Cheers

Attachments

• IMAG0339.jpg
    IMAG0339.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 1,947
  • IMAG0338.jpg
    IMAG0338.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 1,947
legrandefromage":2493jhy1 said:
A large pic of an equally large Record from 1988 to knock off your list. Same forks but different frame.

100% original if you ignore the Wright's leather saddle... *EDIT - and the wheels!

file.php

Heres another of mine with the older style forks

raleigh_record_sprint_1_200.jpg

Evening, i have been given a record sprint the same as the 1988 one pictured above, again with internal cabling and no lettering in the frame number,

Did you manage to find out and more information?

Thanks

evening - alas no I didn't - despite looking on the www there's nothing that explains why certain bona fide Raleigh frames don't carry a letter in the serial number - all I could find was the dates when the Worksop & Nottingham frames were produced http://www.kurtkaminer.com/TH_raleigh_serials.html. Fairly certain my frame is at the latter end of production - internal cable routing, plastic cable bridge under the BB and the biggest clue was a stamp on the handlebars - 1988 if I remember correctly.

Nice one on getting a free bike - what's your plans for it?

Latest posts

Back