Very interesting ...on poverty

Times were good and the money went to the upper echelons of our society, the working class despite doing all the work remained for the most part poor.
The good times were over in the 50's but we still had industry and the community schemes, centers etc to keep us all together
The Government has sold off the industry, spent the proceeds on wasted projects that were really only there to fund some companies bank balance and is now cutting all the funding to the community projects leaving people to rely on themselves and their families only.
This is what you might have seen towards the tail end of communism and the crime those countries faced and continues to face. and its what will happen here also :?

Rich / poor divide :? No industry /high unemployment :? Huge bonuses and pay rises for those running the banks and the country :?.
All i foresee for the UK is the ountry being forced into poverty(make them more compliant ? ) and a police force that is now trained to uphold undemocratic laws.

The police have always acted for the government, not the people. If anything they are more accountable now.

We are still the sixth richest nation in the world.

Things really aren't so bad.

We have lost a lot of industry, but we can rebuild.

The thing i found funny was, yes some of us brits are a lot worse off, but still compared to other people who have nothing at all if you can eat, have warmth and take a bath.... , it's funny hearing someone say their poor if they can still drink and smoke (ie luxuries) when others have no food, i guess poor means different things to different people in different countries........was interesting that the couple who send money back to africa, had to tell their relatives'' no you have to pay for EVERYTHING in the uk......phones call, water, this that the other, very interesting ...to hear that view point....

It does seem there is a larger and larger contingent whining about our society. I think we could do well to send some of them to live in the shanty towns surrounding most of the world's large cities to give them a sense of perspective.

We have the resources to regenerate all our downtrodden areas.

That is the great lie of this coalition, they really are talking like we are broke.

I say prop up our remaining industry and put the money in to modernise them.

Who cares how much it costs, it is investment in our future.

Putting tens of thousands on the scrap heap along with their families is ultimately far more expensive, I am certain of that.

Why are we importing coal, and having ships built in Korea?

Why the hell are we shipping carbon fibre thread abroad to come back to us as wind turbine components?

Exactly why could we not build all our own wind turbines?

highlandsflyer":1j16hgc1 said:
That is the great lie of this coalition, they really are talking like we are broke.

While I agree we should be supporting manufacturing here (with an engineering degree I may have a vested interest there!), is it not true that we actually ARE broke - owing vastly more money than we can realistically hope to pay back any time in the forseeable future?

I have very little interest in economics and have paid embarrassingly little attention to this area, but that's certainly what I understood the situation to be. Am I wrong?

We are very far from broke. We are near Germany in total assets and balance of debt. The Tories, of course, have a vested interest in underselling Britain's economic status.

Back