'93 Kona Hei Hei

Jon Smith

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
I have finally finished my first proper retro build. I hope you like it? Most is period correct to '93 and I hope you like it.

Frame: Kona Hei Hei

Fork: Pace RC35

Headset: XTR
Stem: Syncros
Handlebar: Kona Ti
Grips: Salsa
Barends: Cannondale XYZ's

Brakes: XT
Brake Pads: Coolstops
Brake Levers: XT STI

Shifters: XT STI
Front Derailleur: XT
Rear Derailleur: XT with SRP Break Away Bolt
Cassette: Unknown (needs XT)
Chain: Sedis
Cranks: Topline
Chainrings: Pace
Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN-71
Pedals: Shimano 747's

Hub Skewers: XT
Rims: Mavic 231 Ceramics
Hubs: XT
Nipples: Brass
Spokes: DT db
Tyres: Panaracer Smoke 2.1 Classics (new as it will be ridden)

Saddle: Flite
Seatpost: Kona Ti
Seatpost Binder: Kona QR

Cheers,

Jon

:cool: that's been done properly, i'm glad you weren't tempted to modernise it anywhere, lovely build.

:D

Thanks for the kind comments, I really appreciate it.

It did take a long time to build as it took so many twists and turns. I originally planned an XTR build with Rock Shox, but when I bought the red Toplines I thought linking the graphics in with a subtle use of red instead of green (thanks Gil_M) made sense, but somehow ruled out the blue/grey XTR, so it was the black of XT that seemed to work. Plus it's going to get hammered so needs to be robust. :LOL:

Kase1983 what would you like close ups of? :oops:

The bike in the background is one I bought virtually complete from Stumpjumper1990 which is a '89 Giant Super Sierra. :cool:

Jon Smith":yqqa5pcm said:
what would you like close ups of? :oops:

Everything would be nice ;)

I agree though, it's really a very cool build you have there, no silly long travel forks and short modern ahead stems fitted for a change!

I still plan to have a Hei Hei of this era eventually, I still have memories of the MBi ad with Cindy Devine bombing downhill on one..

Love the bike....as much as I LOVE Syncros gear....I don't know if it works with that seatpost. I would consider going to a black Velocity or a black cattleprod! But good looking bike!!

Chickenball":fhiccvlo said:
Love the bike....as much as I LOVE Syncros gear....I don't know if it works with that seatpost. I would consider going to a black Velocity or a black cattleprod! But good looking bike!!

Thanks. I know the Syncros is not perfect as you say it just doesn't quite work. The other option I had was a silver Atac but thats a bit long, nothing in black.

I am trying to track down the original Ti stem, as I know the Ti forks were replaced by a bike shop and never given back when suspension forks were fitted many years ago so they are long gone but my friend that sold me the frame and Ti goodies still thinks he has the stem some where.

Back