Kona seat post size query

greenstiles

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I just sold a 20" 97 Kilauea for a 19" one, same year and paint job...............my old one would rattle the 27.0 Kona post a bit and a 27.2 was the better fit..................so how come my new 19" one won't take the bigger 27.2 post ........yet the 27.0 is a perfect fit.......................did they change from 27.0 to 27.2 mid flow...............or is it that just over reamed thing you get sometimes on frames ?

greenstiles":1ym89kkk said:
I just sold a 20" 97 Kilauea for a 19" one, same year and paint job...............my old one would rattle the 27.0 Kona post a bit and a 27.2 was the better fit..................so how come my new 19" one won't take the bigger 27.2 post ........yet the 27.0 is a perfect fit.......................did they change from 27.0 to 27.2 mid flow...............or is it that just over reamed thing you get sometimes on frames ?
Yes, I think it varies between frames, and I'm sure you're right that it depends on how much reaming each tube needed/got.

I have a 97 Kilauea myself and I have a 27.2 Syncros in it, fits perfectly. Same post also fits perfectly in my 98 853 Explosif. I think the arithmetic is that it's basically a 28.6 tube with 0.6 walls, leaves a 27.4 hole, so 27.0 fits comfortably, but 27.2 either just fits or just doesn't.

[I say 'basically' because it's actually 29.8 at the top, but the butting is external, the hole is 27.4 all the way down]

I have a 1998 Lava Dome, the original seatpost is 27.0 but I noticed that a 27.2 seatpost fits even better. I've read that the frame tube and the seatpost tolerances may vary thus allowing the use of a more "standard" seatpost. My Kona original seatpost is really scratched up and worn, so I was thinking of getting a new post. But I'm wondering if there are any drawback in using a "fatter" post even though it fits? Are there such thing to consider as post jamming up in the frame easier?

Latest posts

Back