sept 1981 3 speed Raleigh bomber restoration

Time to get polishing mops for my lathe! Amazing to see how well you've done with those guards.

I got the frame up in the vice with soft jaws, using the rear forks to true the new wheel. this stage I was just going round all the nipples putting half turns on to tension them up slowly

bomber55.jpg

heres the asda value method I used to true the wheel, worked out that including the rim thickness it was bang on 20mm either side to the frame, so I clamped a straight edge across the gap and watch the wheel wander off of the 10mm mark, then tweak the nipples (fnar fnar) to pull the rim whichever way required

bomber57.jpg

with that done I fitted the chain guard and sprocket back on. I noticed the sprocket is dome shaped, can anyone confirm the concave side points outward as in my picture? can anyone also confirm whether the thicker shim goes behind the sprocket or thinner ? anyway I tried the sprocket with the concave side pointing to the hub and the chain would be running on the guard.

bomber56.jpg

then checked the bearings on the untouched new front wheel, all nice and greased so set the bearings back up. then was able to dress the wheels up :D

bomber58.jpg

last picture here ive carefully reassembled the crank set (or bottom bracket I think you guys call it) and the head set, also fitted the crank arms and new cotter pins

bomber59.jpg

Thats a beauty, but i fear the front stem is a tad to high? I seem to remember BITD us dropping them down so they didnt bend?

Great build thread and hatsoff to your efforts :cool:

Top marks, I wish I had your dedication with all the polishing.
I remember my mate had one of these, we thought it was ace. I think we painted it yellow with wood gloss.

lol thanks all :)

fair comment on the stem, think you've just answered how the top of the steering tube got bent on so many of these ! i just set it on the max line as i'm quite tall, mental note though thanks !

Great work and great write up darren. :cool:

It is interesting seeing the construction of this frame and forks compared to what was to come later. I'm not sure I would want to ride one with any gusto, but love the resto job you have done regardless. :mrgreen:

i'm reading between the lines, are you saying 1/4" bolts holding slender seat stays to chain stay, horizontal drop outs, blades butt welded to the crown on the forks, might not be very durable :LOL:

Back