Tricky tricky help required

highlandsflyer":n2xmsuw8 said:
Sideboards normally have storage. Is this going to have any?

No. This is just a huge difficult to make barrel that you cant do anything with yet takes up 3square meters
Of Course It Is :LOL: :LOL:

I cant make a prototype complete as A- it uses way too much material given we're on model No3 B- Difficult to clamp and C- made in sections allows cuts to be made to finished parts to allow as you ask storage drawers etc etc however i decide i want to fit the interior.
I've considered drawers ,hinged sections and so on and so forth. Probably go with drawers and storage for some sort of bottle of wine and pair of glasses :? We're a very long time off that though :?
At the moment im getting to grips with forming the ends only. then maybe the legs or method of supporting it. A top of some sort, is that needed(rhetorical question).

And even at the end of it all it might be too difficult to achieve or need radical design change or just too difficult for my experience. Im even considering doing that other year to finish the Degree with this as the project.

Got a bit of interest in gluing scraped bits of tree together yourself, dont you H'sFlyer ? :?

maybe consider making the cone as a separate piece then joining with a scarf joint?
Considered and i dont want to take that option as it would seriously fk up the look and lines of it. I might abandon it if forced that route.

ive a few options to take as yet, theres still im sure softwear for this is already available on either pro or student autocad :? My old student copy has long expired but i cant justify buying another
Anyone help there ? :D

I understand the visual appeal of the shape. It would be hard to integrate storage, the only way you could preserve the aesthetic would be hinging it lengthwise. With that form, it would mean having it hinge 'forward' which would be rather inelegant, although it might work as a 'lift out' drinks cabinet, forming a bar area with the hinged portion.

Yes I have messed with a lot of wood in my time.

As Julian Clary might have said.

:)

gtRTSdh":3q7xsfm6 said:
Dyna Ti, did you get my PM?

I did yes, im still laughing :LOL:

CNC ? 'fraid not this is all hand skill.
You can't really use a parabola given how you're constructing the cabinet so far. the parabola doesn't meet tangentially to your central cylinder. Given that you're unlikely to be able to make it meet to a perfect end and hence blunt nose as in the Parabola, your best solution is to use a Tangent Ogive. What's the minimum width you think you can safely cut the slats to? I can see one solution where all the slats taper down the same, but this really limits the length of your arc.

I was looking at 40mm though maybe 30-35mm at a push. This i think depends on the bending that the ends will have to undergo before any shaping to them occurs :?
I fear if its too narrow it could badly warp,( The cells of timber grow in differing directions and when cut through can release forces and cause warping or bending. Its not unusual and there are methods and timber resawing designed to combat this . Straight grained etc,lack of defects,knots etc in the timber) Warping on such a thin section would be easier to correct than a wider section ubt then the wider section would have less tendency. A bit of a devil you know. TBH i havent fully thought all the problems through ,i just usually start with the general shape in my head and work it all out as i go, working around or through any problems as i go. This is about the first since leaving college that i have to put all the design onto paper first.

Repeat question :)
Anyone familiar with autocad ? has a copy ? Graphic design skills qualifications and softwear ?
AND wishes to earn themselves a large packet of jellybabbies :D

Attachments

• liljabulletsectangx350.gif
    liljabulletsectangx350.gif
    8 KB · Views: 82

Latest posts

Back