Just about retro Rossin Novus

dg91130

Dirt Disciple
I hope that this doesn't offend anyone as it's not as retro as some of the wonderful machines you gentlemen have.

I picked this up through local(ish) classifieds for a suitably low price and jumped on it, I collected in the dark so didnt get a proper look over it but all the bits were there and just about functioning. when i got it back home I found out that only a few gears were selecting, the chain, cahinset, rear mech and cassette were totally gunked up, with what looked to be engine oil (nice!), there was a fair amount of surface rust on the fixings, skewers etc. so it obviously needed a little fettling and very good clean up!

Some of you may have seen the thread with me asking what it was when I got it a few weeks ago, Thanks again Richard for all your links and Rossin info.

So onto the bike, it's a circa 96 so only just a retro and post buy out Rosssin so not of the hand crafted earlier models, tubing is Columbus Gara, and a mix of Miche bearings and low level Avanti campag components but all competent and serviceable.

It's been quite a clean up exercise but really enjoyable, to finish I've thrown on some NOS PDA550 pedals with fresh toeclips, Christophe straps and buttons (in keeping with the competent but low level equipment), new Cinelli gel bar tape, cables, new turbo saddle and a used set of avanti calipers as I think they suit the rest of the group and besides i wasn't very taken with the look of the Miche calipers it came with (thanks again for the avanti's Rob). There's still some touch in work to do on the frame but this bike will be a rider and will see a decent amount of use so I'm not overly fussy on getting it spotless, just a nice usable bike.

Thanks one and all

Darren.

Hi Darren,

The bike looks superb. Great work with the cleaning, i wish mine was in a rideable condition!!

Richard

This is a great looking bike..nice work!

Only thing I'd say is the front wheel is o the wrong way round..or at least the skewer is in the wrong way to me anyway :oops:

notsofast":39k09yo4 said:
This is a great looking bike..nice work!

Only thing I'd say is the front wheel is o the wrong way round..or at least the skewer is in the wrong way to me anyway :oops:

Nuts! Thank you Sir. The thing is I knew it as well, I'd had wheel off to do a bit of scrubbing around the hub, quickly popped it on as mrs D was calling me in for dinner and thought oh well I'll revisit that later ... Then completely forgot, and I even felt something wasn't right when taking the picture but couldn't put my finger on it. Now sorted.

TGR":1x6rxpvi said:
Hi Darren,

The bike looks superb. Great work with the cleaning, i wish mine was in a rideable condition!!

Richard

I'm sure as hell looking forward to seeing it when it is though Richard, its going to be a special one :)

Oh and almost forgot.... Thanks a lot for the kind words Gents I'm pretty chuffed with the end result.

First impressions are really good thanks Richard, we've only spent 35-40 miles on the road together so far. it's a different wheelbase to my modern Cinelli but feels oddly familiar at the back end (maybe its an italian thing, who knows?)

What I have ridden has inspired confidence, it gets up to cruising speed without any bother, in the descents it feels very together and holds a nice line with ease, cruising is very comfortable, not sure if this is due to the slightly longer wheelbase or not but will be good to see how it stacks up in a longer distance ride compared to the modern Cinelli which is beautiful up to about 50 miles but does lose a bit of comfort thereafter.

I need some good miles to dial the bike into myself really and that fun starts this Friday. I'll do a 50 miler (with multitoool) home from the office in London which should be a good test, I can't wait!

Back